You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iCloud > Custom Folder Save In Place?

Hi,

I had thought that Open from iCloud meant that I could use ANY folder on iCloud, not just the Affinity folders.  I feel like it was working this way before, but since 1.7 I'm not able to do that, if I ever was.  

I thought if I "Open from iCloud" opened a file from iCloud > MyPersonalSubfolder, I thought it would save to iCloud > MyPersonalSubfolder. But currently it will only save to iCloud > Affinity Designer folder.  So now there is a duplicate of the file in my iCloud.

Is this the expected behavior? I feel like it was saving in place for me on the last few projects I did. Am I wrong there?

This was a file made in Publisher.  I want to work between 3 desktop apps and the two iPad apps all on the same file in my personal iCloud Subfolders. I don't want to use an App based folder. This isn't a Designer File, I want it to live with the file, where al the other associated project files live.  Am I crazy, I thought it worked like this but I can't get it to right now.

I'm not sure how Publisher effects things but if you Open from Cloud, make edits and use Document menu Save it will /is meant to update the original file, wherever that is stored.

If you have not previously saved a copy from Work screen and reopened that copy, I.e. you just save new file from the Home screen, the file will default to the Designer default folder settings.

I'm seeing some unusual behaviour with the Home screen Save option though. New file , Save creates a file in default folder (expected behaviour) but renaming and resaving from Home screen does nothing. Possible bug? 

For me, in testing now, If it’s an Open from Cloud file , Document menu Save is updating the 'personal' folder and Save from Home screen is also updating 'personal' folder. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Ok, I reproduced this by doing the same series of steps on new files.
First I tried the same thing using only Designer and didn't involve Publisher. Everything worked as expected.

Then I tried it with Designer:

1. Create new multipage file in AfPub Desktop

2. Save in iCloud>WHATNOT folder

3. Close

4. “Open from iCloud” in AfDesigner iPad and make some edits across the pages, like this line. Save, close, save. close.

5. File in iCloud>WHATNOT is NOT updated. Went lookin elsewhere.

6. New updated version of the file in iCloud>Affinity Designer folder. Same name, but now has the afdesign extension where it showed no extension on original desktop save.

7. Opened in AfPublisher Desktop and added this test. Save and close, assuming my mac will write over the iCloud>Affinity Designer folder’s version. (Yes, it did as expected)

So yeah, the expected behavior has broken down for me with these steps. Could anyone try to reproduce this?

Thanks.

• Staff
On 6/25/2019 at 5:02 AM, Sonofwitz said:

Could anyone try to reproduce this

Thanks for reporting this, i can see you also posted in the bugs section and the QA team have logged this with the Dev team :)