You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective option for Crop tool

• 3 weeks later...

This has been requested as far back as 2015.

It would be really great to get some sort of feedback on whether this is in the pipeline.

I sat down to put together a catalog of artworks, photographed from various angles that need perspective correction, but quickly realized that the extremely useful "perspective crop" from Photoshop still does not exist in Affinity Photo. The perspective tool and live perspective filter do not fill this void at all. Currently, I have to prepare all the artwork in Photoshop first, which really undermines the idea of staying in Affinity.

Come on guys, I'm sure you're able to make this feature a reality before more years have to pass.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree!  PLEASE!!

I too like many of the things in Affinity, but I have to go to Photoshop to do perspective cropping. Affinity just doesn't cut it.

I tried haakoo's demonstration in another post on a photo piece I have. I could select the SOURCE. Same as in Photoshop's Perspective Crop . ... in Photoshop I hit CROP and it's done.

In Affinity, I have to switch to DESTINATION. BUT if I drag to the corners of the original photo as haakoo demonstrates the dimensions of the crop are way out of whack. If I just try to move the corners so everything is squared I can't tell if it is actually squared. The corners aren't clear to being square AND it requires 7 more ADDITIONAL steps to finish ....
   Move corner 1 + move corner 2 (is it square?) + move corner 3 (is it square) + move corner 4 (is it square?) + APPLY + Select CROP + adjust CROP to remove the areas not wanted + CROP .... and I'm still not sure that the final image is actually SQUARED off with 90 degree corners.

PLEASE create a Perspective Crop tool !!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, pixelstuff said:

Good demonstration of how the Guided Upright feature works in Lightroom and Photoshop

Yeah, as far as I know PS/LR is the only one that does straighten up images semi-automatically by just putting guides.

Just now, pixelstuff said:

It's not quite the same as the perspective crop tool, but it is another handy option.

Yes I know, I mean PS does both perspective crop and straighten up.
So ideally I would like Serif to add both.

• 1 month later...

Another missing feature whose absence is felt. I've got some old raw pictures of my artworks that I can't edit in Capture One. Straightening in LR/ACR/Photoshop was the easiest process, but I don't want to rely on Adobe anymore. Straightening in Photo is unnecessary articulated. Too many steps to get it right and get the right proportions. I feel like being back to Photoshop 7. A crop tool/transform improvement would be very welcomed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been wanting this for years too.

Another thing is AF could do Adobe one better if perspective crop not only handled the corners but also curved sides. Since lens distortion is round, photographs of especially closer up things (like documents) get bowed out from the middle.

If we could straighten crops by moving corner points and midpoint curves—we could fully correct for angular and depth distortion in one easy step.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think this topic is talking about the same trouble I have - I often have to photograph paintings and signs at a museum I volunteer at. It can be difficult to get the camera exactly square to the plane of the painting and exactly in the middle, so often I have to do a little perspective correction in post-processing. Corel Paintshop Pro has a very simple to use tool called "Perspective Correction Tool" where you just drag the corners of the tool's bounding box to the 4 corners that you want to be square and hit enter. Presto, it's done! Easy peasy.

When I tried to use Affinity Photo for this task, it was MUCH more difficult using its obvious tool,  the Perspective Tool. It was much more powerful (it seemed), but hard to use for such a simple task. I think there should be a simplified option of the Perspective tool, or an enhancement of the crop tool would be fine too. 

11 minutes ago, rah1861 said:

using its obvious tool,  the Perspective Tool

The Perspective "Tool" is not really a tool, it's a destructive filter.
Try the non-destructive Perspective Live Filter instead. It does essentially the same, but is easier to use.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...