You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Equivalent to the CorelDraw Blend Tool

In CorelDraw there is a Blend Tool that enables you to join to objects together along a blend path. You could select how many steps the blend took and also twist the blend giving some really nice effects. The objects didn't have to be the same size, shape or colour, the tool would calculate the transition required to blend Object one to Object two. I was wondering does Affinity Designer have this capability because I use it a lot in my work.

Thank you in advance.

Paul.

• Staff

In CorelDraw there is a Blend Tool that enables you to join to objects together along a blend path. You could select how many steps the blend took and also twist the blend giving some really nice effects. The objects didn't have to be the same size, shape or colour, the tool would calculate the transition required to blend Object one to Object two. I was wondering does Affinity Designer have this capability because I use it a lot in my work.

It would be great to see some examples of how you use the blend tool. We still are trying to decide how to implement the feature so seeing real use case would be very helpful.

• 2 months later...

It would be great to see some examples of how you use the blend tool. We still are trying to decide how to implement the feature so seeing real use case would be very helpful.

I really would like to see this tool too. Actually I wanted to do my first real life project (shot with the "U"s) today and cancelled it because I wanted to experiment with this tool for a logo. Shots are from here and here

rl977mqo938.pngyxkxopdhim3.png4clrrz4qpcax.pngqjiytajji8jg.pngl73fjxjtwh6p.png

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

More: utydtnesp6fq.pngxseh7td4zysq.png

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

• 1 year later...

is the "blend path" tool available in current version? I couldn't find it..

Unfortunately, not yet. Power duplication will create series of scale and rotation, and the series if grouped can have a color gradient applied to it.

But nothing along a path, or morphing node positions, etc.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Unfortunately, I cannot show client work. But the image below was from a defunct project that went a completely different direction and is far as I got on it.

It is the lines that do the blend that simulate neon. There is a heavy line weight with a thin line weight on top of a lighter color. These lines then use the blend feature to create an illusion of a gradient following the path. (Which in itself would be a good feature as long as it can remain vector at output.) The advantage of the blend is that it does remain vector in output for print.

post-255-0-40066000-1482862046_thumb.png

This is another example. The apparent shadow is a blend from a color to the second object being the background color.

post-255-0-95651100-1482862307_thumb.png

This is a set of 8 lines (2 each color) blended together. It too was a live project that died. The font was kept (wording changed), the lines went away.

post-255-0-72603600-1482863021_thumb.png

Without the text...

post-255-0-55157400-1482863048_thumb.png

There are a lot of use cases. Use cases shouldn't be the issue. 

Mike