You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you make something a tint of a colour/swatch in Publisher?

I see the the "Tints" under "Add Chord to Swatch", but this creates 6 swatches that I guess are at 20% intervals (including white and the original colour, both of which seem pointless). How do I specify that I want a 10% tint of a swatch colour for a background?

I can think of convoluted workarounds, but feel I must be missing something obvious.

Thanks for any help.

• Staff

Hi NigelH :)

If you open your colour studio, then navigate to the top right '3 tiered' menu you can select Tint here, which allows for manual control of the tint colour. I hope this helps!
9f00dacf9035a2a2066574718bf81b6b.gif

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

That's brilliant. Thanks Dan.

I was using swatches for working on a magazine in corporate colours, and from there couldn't find a tint command anywhere! Found it hard to believe that something so basic would be missing, but just couldn't find it.

• 6 months later...

Hi, so I just did this.

I have a global CMYK color and my document is set to CMYK, but when I make a tint of my swatch and add the tint color to the swatches it is named as an RGB color. Does this mean it is registering as an RGB color and not CMYK?

It's quite confusing.

• 8 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, Lagarto said:

Note too that parenthood of tints is broken as soon as you create a swatch of them (which does not happen in InDesign). So in the screenshot above (and attached Publisher document) changing the dark green would also change the larger object using a tint of that color, but not the smaller object, which has been assigned a tint by using a swatch.

Ah, interesting – I wouldn't have known! But actually, in the "tints.afpub" file it's the other way round: the larger object has been assigned its light green color via the swatch (as seen in the screenshot) and the smaller light green rectangle has been assigned the darker green colour which then has been modified via the "Tint" slider. Thus the smaller object's color changes according to that of the original darker green whereas the large rectangle only changes when you directly change its own swatch's settings.

seems unnecessarily complicated for this action. Why not just have the option when a colour is selected like Adobe does with Indesign and Illustrator? Not everything needs to be changed to differentiate the software from Adobe. I find colour management to be very unintuitive with Affinity and hope it is something that will be addressed for V2. 

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

seems unnecessarily complicated for this action. Why not just have the option when a colour is selected like Adobe does with Indesign and Illustrator? Not everything needs to be changed to differentiate the software from Adobe. I find colour management to be very unintuitive with Affinity and hope it is something that will be addressed for V2. 

Yeah, exactly. That's an important and valid point! I've been thinking along those lines for some time, too. Actually, there are quite a few things in the Affinity apps where it has occured to me that things are like they are just because of Serif wanting to differ from Adobe's handling of things. There's nothing bad, though, in learning from your "enemy“... Ultimately, an intuitive and fluent user experience is what it should be about (and what will eventually encourage users to try – and stick with – the Affinity apps).