You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Managing Brushes in AD 1.7

I still consider myself “new” to AD, and this related to AD on iPad (haven’t tried this on Mac yet).

I’m having problems managing raster brushes - operations like moving brushes from one category to another.  I believe I’m using the latest version of Designer (1.7.XXXX)

1.  When the list of brush categories is too long for your display, there is no way to scroll to the target category when trying to move a brush from one category to another.  I “solved” my immediate problem by deleting categories of brush until the list was small enough to fit on the display.  At this point you’re stuck - there’s no “Cancel” option, so you can choose a brush category that’s visible, or avoid moving it to some other category by changing the tool you’re using or the studio you’re working in.

2.  The operation of moving a brush from one category to another intermittently fails - the target brush stays in its current category.  I go to the brush’s current category, select the brush, long press to get the context menu, and click “Move”; then I click on the target category.  Brush stays in its current category.  This (mis)behaviour appears to be intermittent - it works sometimes, but fails much more often than it succeeds.

Anyone else have this?

Any suggestions, please?  It’s driving me crazy (I did have a head start, so things are looking shaky).

If this belongs in one of the Bug forums, would a kind administrator please move it for me.

Regards

• Staff

Hi LionelD :)

On 6/24/2019 at 4:22 PM, LionelD said:

When the list of brush categories is too long for your display, there is no way to scroll to the target category when trying to move a brush from one category to another.

This is bug our developers are aware of and we're working to fix it.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:22 PM, LionelD said:

This (mis)behaviour appears to be intermittent - it works sometimes, but fails much more often than it succeeds.

I've tried to replicate this moving a few brushes and I'm not seeing the same behaviour, however another user on our forums has reported this previously. Could you please provide a screen recording of this?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C:  Firstly, thanks for the feedback.

I have been unable to reproduce the behaviour for brushes that fail to move until today - in spite os making a number of attempts.  But then it happened again just a few minutes ago, so I have attached a video clip (I have “Show Touches” turned on at the moment, hope that does not affect the usefulness of the video clip).

By the way, Brush that doesn’t want to move is not the same as the one that gave rise to my original report.  I had just “created” this one by duplicating one of AD standard “Basic” brushes so I could experiment with it freely.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards

PS: This is on the latest iPad Pro with Pencil (latest iOS), latest version of AD for iPad (so 1.7.XXX)

PPS: I just checked, and the target category to which I was trying to move the duplicated brush does not have the copy - confirming that it did not get moved.

Edited by LionelD
Added PPS

• Staff

Many thanks for that LionelD, I've updated our development log with the information and video provided, we hope to have this fixed asap!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

It's a bit late to the party, but brush categories will not scroll in Designer 1.7.2.471 windows 10, computer specs on request.

When I select one that is visible, the brushes within the category scroll.

Just checking to see if this has been an ongoing issue, or if I'm missing something.

52 minutes ago, revel8or said:

It's a bit late to the party, but brush categories will not scroll in Designer 1.7.2.471 windows 10, computer specs on request.

They scroll fine for me, when I have enough categories to require scrolling (about 17 categories in the Designer Persona).

What happens when you try to scroll the categories? And are you sure the scroll bar you're trying to use is the one for the categories, and not the one just to the right for the brush list? That confuses me sometimes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I’ll look again and count how many brushes are installed.  When I hover over the list and use the mouse wheel, they don’t move.  I can see the bar beside the list, and when it’s clicked, it highlights the menu underneath.

There’s always room for operator error, so...I’ll go through it again. :)

22 minutes ago, revel8or said:

There’s always room for operator error, so...I’ll go through it again. :)

A screenshot might also prove helpful :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1