You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Memory leaks and slow performance: zooming causes 1GB jump in RAM usage

As mentioned here, I have a document with 115 artboards (all 99x99 icons) that gets very slow to work with. Specifically, I found the RAM usage to be fairly huge right from the start, with large jumps when opening and editing docs.

Opening AD: 1.11 GB
Opening the document: 1.8 GB
Zooming in the document just 1 step:  2.5 GB

Additionally, it seems like macOS's WindowServer process is affected as well, rising up to 1.2 GB.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 (MAS version)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB

Edited by maxsteenbergen
Added system specs

4 hours ago, maxsteenbergen said:

As mentioned here, I have a document with 115 artboards (all 99x99 icons) that gets very slow to work with. Specifically, I found the RAM usage to be fairly huge right from the start, with large jumps when opening and editing docs.

Opening AD: 1.11 GB
Opening the document: 1.8 GB
Zooming in the document just 1 step:  2.5 GB

Additionally, it seems like macOS's WindowServer process is affected as well, rising up to 1.2 GB.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 (MAS version)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB

Those 2GB of RAM on that 5K display will hold you back. Lot's of pixels to render, probably using VM swapfile, so performance sucks. Have you played around with turning off Metal compute? Alternatively you might wanna try setting your gorgeous 5K display to 4K, giving your GPU 20% more headroom for rendering all those pixels...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

33 minutes ago, maxsteenbergen said:

@ronnyb I have 16GB of RAM available. The 2GB is the graphics card’s memory, enough to adequately render some moderate 3D work. Besides, the 1.7 beta and earlier ran like a dream. 

on your discreet radeon r9 gpu, used by Metal, you have 2gb

if you disable metal, and hardware accel, and use software, your system will be able to use 16bg (minus os overhead etc). software is slower than hardware, but hardware without enough ram gets slower...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 3 weeks later...