Is there a way to access/open a group without ungrouping it and selecting ONLY inside that group? In other words, I want to be able to drag-select items inside a group without selecting any elements outside of the group.

Hi MatthijsR :)

You can expand a group in the layers panel and select/drag only the grouped elements here. If I've misunderstood your question, please let me know!

I wanted to use cross-selection on the artboard. So if I am on the artboard with let's say 2 groups on top of eachother. Now I want to use the cross selection to select elements from 1 group only. If they don't overlap, you can select with CTRL+drag select. But if the groups overlap, you will select elements from both groups.

If I could freeze everything on the canvas EXCEPT the elements of 1 group, I can select and edit safely inside that group without touching anything outside of the group.

The layers panel won't work with many elements in a group or elements that are not listed together (many, times CTRL+click)

Select the group from which you don't want to select any object. Hide the group. That is, uncheck the group in the layer panel. After that, you can only select on screen what is visible.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

13 hours ago, gdenby said:

Select the group from which you don't want to select any object. Hide the group.

Or lock it.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2