Framon

Where is the Symbol menu in Studio panel ?

In the beginning of beta releases, it was a symbol menu in the Studio panel. I don't see it anymore...

Where is it now?

Symbols.jpg

Affinity Photo - Affinity Publisher - Windows 10

At the Affinity Live 2019 demonstration (around 21 minutes in), the presenter moved over to the Designer persona to use symbols so it’s probably reasonable to infer that symbols aren’t part of Publisher any more, or weren’t supposed to be there in the first place. (A search in the Publisher Help gets me no mention of the sort of symbols that are present in Designer.)

You're right, GarryP, the help menu has no mention of this sort of symbol.

But, how to operate when we don't have Designer ?

I don’t think there is much you can do about it.  If Serif don't want Symbols in Publisher then we don't get them.

If you know someone with Designer then:
* you could send them your document;
* they could add the symbols you want to the document;
* they could send the document back to you.

You should then be able to manipulate the symbols - I did a quick test and it seems to work, up to a point - but I don’t know how well this might work in practice with a real document in a real working environment (and it’s a bit like cheating).

Effectively, it's a solution...:/

But it's strange that symbols are not in a DTP...

Yeah, it’s not a great solution but one that could be used if you are desperate, and know someone who’s patient and has a copy of Designer.  (It still feels a little like stealing though. I wouldn't be too comfortable doing it.)
I couldn’t say if it is a good idea to have them or not. I don’t use them much myself so I don’t miss them, and I have Designer so I can always switch over if I need to. Maybe they will come back one day.

13 hours ago, GarryP said:

Maybe they will come back one day.

Maybe... ;-)