You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the Symbol menu in Studio panel ?

At the Affinity Live 2019 demonstration (around 21 minutes in), the presenter moved over to the Designer persona to use symbols so it’s probably reasonable to infer that symbols aren’t part of Publisher any more, or weren’t supposed to be there in the first place. (A search in the Publisher Help gets me no mention of the sort of symbols that are present in Designer.)

I don’t think there is much you can do about it.  If Serif don't want Symbols in Publisher then we don't get them.

If you know someone with Designer then:
* you could send them your document;
* they could add the symbols you want to the document;
* they could send the document back to you.

You should then be able to manipulate the symbols - I did a quick test and it seems to work, up to a point - but I don’t know how well this might work in practice with a real document in a real working environment (and it’s a bit like cheating).

Yeah, it’s not a great solution but one that could be used if you are desperate, and know someone who’s patient and has a copy of Designer.  (It still feels a little like stealing though. I wouldn't be too comfortable doing it.)
I couldn’t say if it is a good idea to have them or not. I don’t use them much myself so I don’t miss them, and I have Designer so I can always switch over if I need to. Maybe they will come back one day.

• 1 year later...

Symbols work when you have Designer installed and switch to the Designer Persona ... unfortunately you have to stay in that Persona to use symbols.

One of my most common use cases is that I have small icons ("special price", "new!", "Sale!" and such) that I need to pin into my textflow. With the current implementation that doesn't work: Even if I create a symbol in Designer Persona, switch back to Publisher and start copy-pasting and pinning the symbol, the symbol-ness gets lost and I end up with many objects that need to be changed manually, should I need to adjust them. Very cumbersome.

37 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

start copy-pasting and pinning the symbol, the symbol-ness gets lost and I end up with many objects that need to be changed manually, should I need to adjust them. Very cumbersome.

I have no problem copy/pasting and pinning symbols in the Publisher Persona. They maintain their symbol relationship, and changing one changes the others.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, haakoo said:

You can even create an asset of it and it will remain a symbol

Yes. However, when I tried that, each time I drag the symbol from the Assets panel onto a page it becomes a new symbol that is not linked to any other copies I have dragged from the Assets panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1