You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image size not original when placed in Affinity Publisher 1.7.1

Hi,

When I place an image that is around 220 mm in Affinity Photo, it's original size, into Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 document, it reduces to about a quarter that size of 50 mm.

Is there a reason for this, and why is this happening?

I look forward to receive an answer.

Affinity Photo-Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 08.59.06.png

Affinity Publisher-Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 09.02.10.png

Just now, afridraw said:

Hi,

When I place an image that is around 220 mm in Affinity Photo, it's original size, into Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 document, it reduces to about a quarter that size of 50 mm.

Is there a reason for this, and why is this happening?

I look forward to receive an answer.

Affinity Photo-Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 08.59.06.png

Affinity Publisher-Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 09.02.10.png

P.S. Refer to screenshots.

There are three reasons:

– an AfPub document as a specific DPI resolution
– AfPub thinks you prefer to place any resource with that document resolution
– therefore it reads the resolution DPI setting of the resource and adapts the object size

The only way I had found yet to avoid such an unexpected size is to make the document resolution the same as the resource resolution. But I would not recommend to change document resolution, because a switch of document resolution is still a bit buggy and might change other dimensions undoable. (for instance margins and object stroke width on master pages)

Unfortunately also the "Original Size" doesn't set the size according to its original DPI but to the documents DPI, too.
293381944_originalsize.jpg.96d3271fc55989f55ccab3f70b99e6f5.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

There are three reasons:

– an AfPub document as a specific DPI resolution
– AfPub thinks you prefer to place any resource with that document resolution
– therefore it reads the resolution DPI setting of the resource and adapts the object size

The only way I had found yet to avoid such an unexpected size is to make the document resolution the same as the resource resolution. But I would not recommend to change document resolution, because a switch of document resolution is still a bit buggy and might change other dimensions undoable. (for instance margins and object stroke width on master pages)

Unfortunately also the "Original Size" doesn't set the size according to its original DPI but to the documents DPI, too.
293381944_originalsize.jpg.96d3271fc55989f55ccab3f70b99e6f5.jpg

Thank you Thomas.

This was the issue. Your post has resolved this issue for me.

I did not, and generally would not want to change the DPI setting of a document, in this case it was 300 DPI, so after reading your post:

I looked into "properties" of image, and saw the image was originally 72 DPI, so I changed as per your screenshot, just/only the "Image DPI" section to be 72 DPI, it was set at 300 DPI, then visual size was corrected.

This occurred as the image I placed was a screenshot of a map in the first place, that had setting when taken to be a 72 DPI screenshot.