You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

publisher crashes because of memory issues

I created a small document (13x18cm pages) with 40 pages, almost no text and only one or two linked images per page.

I tried to export a pdf document, but publisher crashes each time.

If I start the export, publisher tries to estimate the size of the document. Without doing anything else, I can see how publisher builds up memory usage up to 6 GB and then ends because of lack of memory (I have a windows 7 64 bit laptop with 8 GB memory). When I try to export I also started the export without waiting for the result of the memora estimate. Publisher shows same behaviour. It builds up memory usage, it does not free any memory. One time I got a blue screen, one time I received a message that there was an error (without any further information), mostly it tells me that it ends because of lack of memory (when it hits the 6 GB size).

I was not able to export any single pdf document.

Also when working with the document I sometimes run into a memory issue and publisher crashes.

H have had a similar issue.

I tried to open a pdf file 96Mb. Appreciate it is large at 53 pages. mostly text but some photographs.

After 30 minutes , with the loading document message in top right of screen, I tried to end Publisher. However I could not and had to eventually restart the computer.

I later manages to open the document and save it as a Publisher document . I took about 12 minutes to open and about 25 minutes to save .

Publisher does not seem to be able to handle large files.

The same document opened in acrobat in less than 5 seconds.

I replicated my affinity publisher data to my tablet (windows 10 64 bit pro, 8GB Memory).

Here I was able to open and export my 40 page document in Affinity Publisher.

However, It took many minutes to export. The windows task manager showed a gradual increase in memory usage from 2 GB to 5,4 GB.

The document itself including all linked ressources uses about 200 MB, the generated pdf file is also 200 MB of size.

This looks like a serious memory issue.

It is not new. During beta we found a big one that has not been confirmed as fixed in any changelog. 

My pragmatic solution: I upgraded to 32 GB RAM. :-)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Something not consistent with this error.

I've just opened a 495mb PDF file - it was camera ready for the printer. No problems. Also open were 5 other PDF files - all approx 5mb in size.

Windows task manager reports 8gb memory being used.

My PC has 16gb memory.

This is something that needs reporting directly to the Affinity team as obviously mileage is varying.

Following hr.mu lead, been doing a little experimenting.

Publisher file 13cm x 18cm 40 pages with 83 jpg linked images amounting to 384MB.

Putting the publisher file together ie inserting the linked images (drag and drop leading to image layers - nothing rasterised) leads to memory usage of around 8GB. This would suggest that a system with 8GB may struggle with such a file.Interestingly, when I redid the process a second time after closing publisher, memory usage was about half ie 4GB - goodness knows why. Perhaps before a project, starting the programme, closing and starting again may help??.

If I export to pdf the resultant file is 175Mb. Memory usage actually goes slightlly down when saving.

the .afpub file on save is only 8MB, presumably because of the linking of images.

The interesting part is that when you reimport the afpub file, memory usage drops to around 1.3GB. This would suggest to overcome memory issues, save the file every so often, close the file and then reopen the file.

When saving to pdf after reimporting the saved file, during the estimated file size calculation, which seems to take some time, memory usage does go up substantially, in this case from 1.3GB to 4.2GB. When the calculation is finished, memory does not drop down to its past level as one may expect it to do so -it stays at 4.2GB. If you redo the pdf calculation, memory usage stays about the same, around 4.2GB, ie does not increase again. 

This would suggest that instead of waiting to see the result of the calculation, just press export. After export, close publisher and reimport the file again to clear memory.

Hope this may be of some help.

Hi Wasp11b,

thanks for the reply and for the effort of investigating the issue. Your figures correspond vary much to my figures. Opening the publisher file will use about 1,4 GB memory. When exporting to pdf it will use about 5,5 GB to estimate the resulting filesize (in about 9 minutes) and it takes another 9 minutes to export the file. It does not make vary much sense to wait for estimating the filesize. I at once start exporting.

Because I sync my files between laptop and pc, publisher will no longer recognize most images as current after sync and warns when exporting. If I update all linked images in one go, it will again take about 6 minutes and use about 6,9 GB memory (whatever happens when updating the images).

Finally at least I got rid of the crashes when exporting. I increased pagefile.sys accordingly, that helped.

I can live with slow response times because of my 8 GB memory size as long as there are no further crashes!

I'm having issues with memory leaks--and I'm pretty sure its coming from my APub. It's extremely prevalent on my work computer, and just swallows my 8 GB RAM. That System is running an older gen quad core i7 with Windows 7. At home, it holds pretty steady at 4 GB, but when I shut the program down, it's not recovering my memory (which is also an issue at work). At home I am on a 7th Gen i7M with 8GB RAM, but running Windows 10 and a solid state drive.

The RAM leak eats RAM, then when the software is closed, doesn't return back to normal idle baseline unless you restart.

This thread needs to be pinned to the top of the forum.  A lot of my issues are stemming from the memory leaks of the Affinity applications.

I have similar type of experience with the stand alone Designer application and after a few hours or less I have to reboot my computer.
Publisher is worse.

Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
16GB Ram, max supported

• 1 year later...

I have had issues with Publisher PUB to PDF conversion for years, and now have it again. This is a 874 page book with heavy photo content- 266 Meg PUB file.   I have two desktops (64 bit Win 10) with Publisher 2007 and 2010.   I have SSDs in both, and 16 Gig (in one computer) and  & 32 Gig of RAM in the other. I have compressed my photos and downgraded my output for the conversion From Commercial Press to High Quality. The file conversion proceeds smoothly to approx.  95% judging by the status progress bar and then gives the "Publisher cannot save the file" message, or not enough memory.

I spent quite a bit of time with the MS Publisher product Mgr. on the phone a few years ago and he really had no solution.  I succeeded last time with the above mentioned compressed photos and output quality degradation. I have added new photos and two additional pages with small quantities of added text throughout. I saved a renamed duplicate file to play with, deleting photos and removing the two pages I added, but after fighting it all day, so far no luck. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Edited by CVL22 history

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this program about two weeks ago. Thought I might be able to cancel my Adobe InDesign account. But I have terrible memory problems. For the same file, Affinity Publisher uses 3 times more memory than InDesign. I have 8GB of RAM on a one-year old computer and it's not enough, making the program slow and cumbersome to use. It's constantly crashing (although has good recovery). It's really a shame because otherwise, I love this software. It's by far the best substitute for Adobe. My advice to Affinity - Get that memory fixed and you've got a real winner!