You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform Studio annoying values jumping

In my workflow, I'm constantly making sure items are aligned to grid by using the Transform Studio and verifying the X&Y coordinates and the Width&Height values do not have a decimal point in them. This is usually done by placing the cursor in the respective text box of the Transform Studio and pressing the Up/Down arrow which causes the number to round to the nearest natural number.

In the latest version, there's a very annoying bug which causes the second value changed to jump to a seemingly arbitrary number.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a new document
  2. Create an ellipse of any size (do make sure the width and height values are NOT equal and ARE fractions)
  3. In the Transform Panel, click the Width text box and press the up arrow. the value should round to a natural number.
  4. Click the Height text box and press up arrow again.

Expected: The value should round to the nearest natural number.

Observe: The value changes to an arbitrary (non-natural) number and the circle is transformed.

This also happens when a value is entered explicitly, after pressing enter to commit the change, the value jumps to an arbitrary value. However, I can confirm this does not happen for objects with an equal height&width, like a perfect circle.

Please fix this bug soon, it makes basic workflow tasks very annoying!

Moreover, after testing for a few more use-cases, the Transform Studio seems utterly broken.

Sometimes the values appear to change in the panel, but have no effect on the actual object. Other times, the values change but when moving to another field in the panel the change is reverted. All of these issues also happens with X and Y of course.

1.6 had none of theses issues. :(

Hi leshido,

I'm not experiencing any of the issues you mention above, for me, the transform panel is working as expected. I followed your suggested points above and I'm not having any issues. Are you able to make a screen recording to demonstrate what you are experiencing?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Messed up here too, Random numbers some smaller some larger than the original.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey @Hangman ,

Interesting this issue isn't happening to you. I get the exact behavior as shared by @Old Bruce.

Here is a video demonstration. Notice how in the second shape, I enter a specific value which is then overridden by some arbitrary number.

Also verified this is happening on two different Macs I own, so this is definitely reproducible. The AD version is from the App Store if that makes any difference.

Hey leshido,

I have now been able to replicate this after a bit of trial and error. It is definitely specific to two criteria as far as I can determine and as you mentioned originally.

It only seems to affect Width and Height (although I did get the same issue with X and Y one time only but can no longer replicate) and it only happens to the 2nd dimension 'after' having used the 'up' or 'down' arrow in the first, e.g. click in the 'W' box, use the up arrow to set a whole number and either do the same or highlight and enter a value in the 'H' box and the problem occurs and vice versa, as per the videos.

I had previously been clicking on the letter 'W' and the letter 'H' (outside the text entry field). Doing that the problem doesn't exist when using the up arrow for either field which is why I wasn't seeing it before. So it appears to be something specific to clicking in the text entry field only and specific to using either the up or down arrow prior to entering text or using the up and down arrows in the second text field.

If you click the up or down arrow a second time in the same field 'after' you get the extraneous value then it sets it to the next whole number, only at the extraneous value rounded up or down!

One for the dev team me thinks...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

7 hours ago, Hangman said:

I had previously been clicking on the letter 'W' and the letter 'H' (outside the text entry field). Doing that the problem doesn't exist

Interesting. I guess I should get used to clicking the 'W' & 'H' labels to set size until this issue is resolved... ¬¬

• 1 month later...