You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Launching APh by opening a file focuses the wrong tab

1. Ensure APh is in a state that the next launch will re-open large files in order to return state
  2. Double-click an Affinity-openable file (tested/repro'd with both CR2 RAW and .afphoto)
  3. See the requested file be opened but a tab for one of the restored files will be the actually-selected tab requiring hunting for the newly opened file

Tested on APh 1.7.1, macOS Mojave (10.14.5), MBP 2018/32G/i9/Vega20

EDIT: Another side effect of this (as I'm noting given the number of crashes I'm encountering right now) is that if you relaunch the app from the crash dialog, there's no guarantee that the proper file (the active one at the time of the crash) will be the selected tab after opening the recovery file.

Edited by Brad Brighton
Adding another case of inducing the "wrong file selected on relaunch" behavior

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Brad,

I've reproduced this. What I'm seeing is the first document I had open will open up first, then the afphoto file I double-clicked will open but then it goes back to the first image. Not really what I'd expect to I'll check with the dev team.

Hi @Chris B, turns out there's more to this than first meets the eye.

1. Ensure that two or more files will be reopened on launch of APh -- one must be "large" (that is, will take some time to open -- in my test case, the large file is 9.55GB, lots of history)
  2. Open APh by double clicking a normal image file (in my test case, a random single-frame CR2 RAW file but I don't believe it matters)
  3. See the previously noted behavior of the wrong tab being selected -- select the newly double-click opened tab -- do operations on that file or not, it does not seem to matter
  4. Watch the large file load in the title bar -- when it completes, the first re-opened file is selected, regardless of the fact that you're currently manipulating the tab representing the newly opened file
  5. Curse vehemently if you were interrupted in the middle of some important manipulation

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers