You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported brushes not showing

With the generosity of various forum members I have downloaded a selection of free brushes for use in AP and have been able to import all but one set successfully. Each time I imported this set it says that I have successfully imported them and tells me there was 5 vector brushes in the set. However when selecting the brushes palette this particular set is missing. 

Please give me some direction as to where these have been placed. I have tried to look in all the familiar places, ie Library and package contents but to no avail. Each import has an incremental number after the set name (as i thought that I had done it wrong at the time, so tried again) which is now at 9 but I still cannot find them. 

Hopefully when they can be found I can delete the extras and be left with only the one set.

For information this is AP v1.7.1, using OSX 10.11.6 & 10.14.5

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Vector brushes will only show in Designer not AP

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

If they don't show up you cant remove them

You could reset the brushes to the default set that comes with AP then reload your raster brushes

But I don't think the Vector ones do any/much harm so you may as well just leave them.  God only knows why they install in the first place.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

There is a file you can delete. On Windows it is named vector_brushes.propcol and may have the same name on Mac. But I cannot begin to suggest where it might exist on your system.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well the short answer is nothing. Deleting the vector_brushes.propcol file did nothing and resetting the brushes in Preferences reset the brushes back to default, as expected. 

Still cannot find where any of the brushes as stored in the app or elsewhere. If anyone has any further suggestions these will be greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, terry47 said:

If anyone has any further suggestions these will be greatly appreciated.

What further suggestions are you hoping for, Terry? If you’ve deleted the ‘vector_brushes.propcol’ file then the brushes are no longer stored within the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, terry47 said:

Deleting the vector_brushes.propcol file did nothing

18 minutes ago, terry47 said:

I was probably hoping someone knew where the app saved them so I could ensure they had been removed.

What makes you think that deleting a .propcol did nothing?
Did you have, after deleting the .propcol, still even your custom installed brushes available? Have you closed the app before deleting the pref?
What makes you think they have NOT been removed?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks thomaso for replying.

In answer to your questions; after deleting the .propcol file I added the set again. Whilst no new propcol file was created the tally number for the set increased by 1 again.

Unfortunately not, as I think I did a brush reset from preferences first.

I cannot remember if I closed it first or not, I’ll give that another try.

See answer to the first question.

Thanks again for your input, I’ll try again shortly but it looks like I’ll just have to live my mistake and hope it doesn’t interfere with anything else, and call it a day.

16 hours ago, terry47 said:

In answer to your questions; after deleting the .propcol file I added the set again. Whilst no new propcol file was created the tally number for the set increased by 1 again.

Unless I missed something in the earlier replies, & assuming the file path to the vector_brushes.propcol file is the same regardless of which store (Mac or Affinity) the app came from, this is because the file path mentioned is for Affinity Publisher, not Affinity Photo. For Photo, it should be as follows:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/vector_brushes.propcol

The leading tilde & forward slash is shorthand for your user account home folder, the one with the House icon in the Users folder of your startup drive. The longer version would be something like below, assuming your user account's short name is "terry"

/Users/terry/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/vector_brushes.propcol

Either way, don't confuse the user account Library folder with the top level or the System Library folders.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, R C-R said:

Unless I missed something in the earlier replies, & assuming the file path to the vector_brushes.propcol file is the same regardless of which store (Mac or Affinity) the app came from, this is because the file path mentioned is for Affinity Publisher, not Affinity Photo.

This is a good example of why we should abandon the use of the abbreviation ‘AP’. It’s all too easy to assume that it refers to Affinity Publisher rather than Affinity Photo (or vice versa). For what it’s worth, I’ve always used the abbreviation ‘APh’ for Photo, fully expecting that otherwise confusion would reign once Publisher arrived on the scene. I abbreviate Publisher as ‘APub’; others prefer ‘APu’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)