You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Studio Link for the other apps

Hi,

Is Studio Link coming to the other apps soon (e.g. designer to photo or publisher) ?  I know you can switch within the menu but that feature in publisher looks and works too well to not be in the other apps.

Ryan.

Will we be able in the future to open a document in one of the other apps and then transfer it to publisher?  For example If I open a raw photo in photo, develop it and then want to put it into a publisher document I can find no way to do it other than exporting it and then opening it in Publisher.  Seems Studio link is only a one way link. I'm kind of disappointed. At the very least is an "Edit in  or Send to Publisher" menu item planned for the other apps? 

Hi I had a similar question. Can I just open Publisher, now it has Studio Link, and do everything in that. So I mean, do photo work using the AP link, then do vector work using the AD link, then do Publishing work using the AP link? I'm sorry I haven't used AP yet(I purchased it) but watched a few videos and just browsed the interface.

Or is this limited by the document type? Fireworks has a similar option (sort of) in a different way(do vector and photo work in the same document).

Can I export elements or parts of the document as AD or AP?

If Serif added an HTML and PHP IDE coding editor with another Studio Link, I'd have the perfect set of apps!

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

3 hours ago, Timespider said:

Hi I had a similar question. Can I just open Publisher, now it has Studio Link, and do everything in that. So I mean, do photo work using the AP link, then do vector work using the AD link, then do Publishing work using the AP link? I'm sorry I haven't used AP yet(I purchased it) but watched a few videos and just browsed the interface.

Yes, except that Publisher includes only the Photo Persona from Affinity Photo, and only the Designer Persona from Affinity Designer. If you need to use the other Personas of either application then you need to open those applications, or use "Edit in..." to transfer the working file over to them.

Also, Publisher's Photo Persona does not include plugin support or various options from the File menu (batch jobs,  stacking, HDR merge, focus merge, panorama).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Angelize said:

Will we be able in the future to open a document in one of the other apps and then transfer it to publisher?  For example If I open a raw photo in photo, develop it and then want to put it into a publisher document I can find no way to do it other than exporting it and then opening it in Publisher.  Seems Studio link is only a one way link. I'm kind of disappointed. At the very least is an "Edit in  or Send to Publisher" menu item planned for the other apps? 

I believe I read a response from one of the Serif staff that they are planning to add "Edit in Publisher" to the other two applications.

Edit: Yes, Callum said this:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 6/23/2019 at 5:26 PM, Angelize said:

Will we be able in the future to open a document in one of the other apps and then transfer it to publisher?  For example If I open a raw photo in photo, develop it and then want to put it into a publisher document I can find no way to do it other than exporting it and then opening it in Publisher. 

You don't need to export the developed RAW photo in Affinity Photo. Just save it as an Affinity file. Then you can open it in Publisher (because the native Affinity file format is identical for all 3 apps), or embed or link to it in some other or a new Publisher document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

You don't need to export the developed RAW photo in Affinity Photo. Just save it as an Affinity file. Then you can open it in Publisher (because the native Affinity file format is identical for all 3 apps), or embed or link to it in some other or a new Publisher document.

Hi R C-R thans for the reply, is this just a .af like (file.af)?

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

5 hours ago, Timespider said:

Hi R C-R thans for the reply, is this just a .af like (file.af)?

I'm not sure what you mean, but in Affinity Photo when you save a RAW photo you have developed (as opposed to exporting it to some other file format) it will be saved in the native file format with an ".afphoto" extension.

But since the native file format is exactly the same for all three apps, that doesn't matter. All three apps can work directly on files with the afphoto, afdesign, or afpub extension. There is no need to convert or import from another file format or change the extension manually.

The only function of the different extensions is to tell the OS which is the default app that should open the file if you double-click on it. But you can still open a file with any of the 3 extensions in any of the 3 Affinity apps, or embed or link to them in Affinity Publisher.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R, cool that's what I was asking ( All three apps can work directly on files with the afphoto, afdesign, or afpub extension. ) I had never done that, I've only ever opened each one in it's own app.

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

5 hours ago, Timespider said:

Be good to have it so you could have edit in designer and edit in photo too.

Those are already there, under the File menu.

-- Walt
PC: