You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

afpub file size increase with linked or embedded afdesign/afphoto

Hello!

I have noticed the file size of an afpub keeps increasing indefinitely if it has an afdesign or afphoto document linked or embedded, even when no changes have been made to the linked document. The first thing I have tried is to turn off Save History With Document, but it was already off. I recorded my screen to demonstrate the issue. In the video, please notice how the file size changes after trivial operations such as moving a rectangle: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9ilpg67o3fbb7c/afpub filesize increase.mp4?dl=0

I’ve also tested placing a png, in which the case the file size increases in the next 2 saves and then goes back down.

I am running Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 on MacOS 10.14.5.

6 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, PDFs, ÖSDs are not considered to be „images“ like tif, jpg or png, but documents. For the time being, the file size isn‘t reduced, when you place these files as „linked“.

I understand that. The problem is not how the file size jumps from 1MB to 20MB with a linked afdesign file. This is fine. My issue is how every subsequent save will increase the file size by ~400KB even when the only change in the afpub file is the position of a rectangle that is unrelated to the linked file. I used to work in CorelDRAW, so Cmd+S is in my muscle memory and I end up with huge files.

This happens with psd as well.

Try to „Save As …“ instead. Normally the „Save“ command doesn‘t optimize your file for performance reasons. the „Save As …“ command (or – if I remember correctly – every 5th save command) cleans up your file and removes all unnecessary file clutter..