You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to fill specific closed form (with color) in one existing curve?

Hello,

there is something that is bugging me, or something maybe I did not understand the right away after watching Affinity Designer Tutorialvideos on your learn page.

At first I was excited because you guys added the possibilities to add curves/nodes in one excisting curves/Path. Like in this Image I tried (1 Forum):

Now I hoped that Affinity Designer would now recognize 2 different closed form in one existing path. I selected the fill tool, tried to hover it to the closed form on the right side, but instead of filling this closed form with a color, it does this (2 Forum): why?

I hoped thos would speed up my workflow, but it seems like I still have to make 2 different paths in order for Affinity Designer to recognize 2 different closed form. Would be nice if Affinity Designer could recognize several closed form in one path!

Does anyone have a workflow to this (workaround). I hoped to use the pathfinder tool much less (does AD also call it the pathfinder tool?)

Oh, by the way, the isometric advanced tool is sooo awesome...good work serif :)

Affinity Designer 1 Forum.png

Affinity Designer 2 Forum.png

This is not what I meant. Boolean operations creates at least 2 or more distinct closed paths (or 1 merged closed path). What I want is in AD to have the ability to fill 2 or more closed forms/shapes in one path/curve. Procreate for example does recognize forms/shapes without being it to be one single closed path, even Gimp does have the ability to fill recognizeable shapes/forms that can be filled without the requirement to have a closed path .

Hi, Joschi,

Procreate does not do vectors as far as I know. I don't use GIMP much for painting, but from what little I've done, I haven't seen any vector tools in it. Vectors don't work like that. The curve defines the space that can have a fill. So 2 shapes are needed if you want different color areas. Its easy to nest vectors in vectors, and avoid doing booleans. See attached.

Layering.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hm...I know, that Procreate is not a vector based drawing software (although, I remember, that it can handle/produce curves, that can be rasterized). That is weird, because a curve can produce several "closed" forms and don't have a closed path....just imagine you draw a single path with several loops..it is not a closed path, but closed forms are visible...would be awesome to have it in a vector based design software. Just imagine, how easy it would be to manipulate such curves/closed forms afterwards. You would not have to use the boolean operators again, just to apply a change in the path. I hope people understand my issue. :)