You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection

I have the old NIK collection, I had paid Google for it before it went free at Google.  I t works just fine as long as you follow the instructions given in earlier Affinity tutorials.  I use it all the time.

The old Nik Collection doesn't work for me. After installing AP 1.7.1, it worked for a couple of days and then stopped. Now when a Nik filter starts to open, AP crashes. I am working on a Mac desktop running the latest version of Mojave.  

Just downloaded latest Nik Collection 2.0 and running Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 but only HDR Efex Pro 2 is enabled in the menu and files doesn't transfer.

Running Windows 10 64 bit

Any updates on the Affinity side?  I sent support ticket to DxO.

Thanks

NikInAffinity.JPG

• Staff

Hi francwoods,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You are working with a 32 bit document. Most plugins only work with 8 or 16 bit documents. If you go to menu Document > Convert Format / ICC Profile and change it to RGB 8 or 16 in the dropdown on top, the other filters should become available.

10 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi francwoods,
You are working with a 32 bit document. Most plugins only work with 8 or 16 bit documents. If you go to menu Document > Convert Format / ICC Profile and change it to RGB 8 or 16 in the dropdown on top, the other filters should become available.

Thanks... I'll give that a try!

19 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi francwoods,

Converting to RGB 8/16 bit is not fixing for me the HDR Plugin with Affinity 1.7.1 and NIK Collection 2

• Staff

Hi Hanterdro,
My reply above was regarding the filters appearing greyed out in the menus. The HDR Efex Pro (from Nik Collection 2 by DxO) doesn't work with Affinity Photo 1.7 - this is a known issue. Changing the format to RGB 8 or 16 bit will not fix this.

@francwoods Regarding the files doesn't transfer problem (which is missed sorry) this is an issue specific to HDR Efex Pro filter which doesn't work in Affinity Photo 1.7. So changing the colour format to RGB 8 or 16 will not fix this issue - it just makes the other filters become available from the filters menu.

17 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Hanterdro,
My reply above was regarding the filters appearing greyed out in the menus. The HDR Efex Pro doesn't work with Affinity Photo 1.7 - this is a known issue. Changing the format to RGB 8 or 16 bit will not fix this.

@francwoods Regarding the files doesn't transfer problem (which is missed sorry) this is an issue specific to HDR Efex Pro filter which doesn't work in Affinity Photo 1.7. So changing the colour format to RGB 8 or 16 will not fix this issue - it just makes the other filters become available from the filters menu.

Since I noticed that when DxO installed the Nik plugins, it un-installed the Google version.  So could I re-install Google Nik and add just the HDR Efex plugin from Google Nik?  I tried pointing to that directory only (with DxO already installed) but it didn't do anything.

• Staff

Hi francwoods,
The HDR Efex Pro from the original Google Nik Collection does work in Affinity Photo (with a few limitations). I haven't tried what you are suggesting so I'm not sure this would work but in theory if you install Google Nik Collection first you have to copy/take out two things to a temporary folder:

- the HDR Efex Pro 2.app file from the Nik Collection folder inside the Applications folder (this is the standalone version of the HDR Efex plugin)
- the whole HDR Efex Pro 2 folder located inside the Google folder (which contains the plugin files used by Photoshop and other hosts like Affinity Photo): this Google folder is created/located inside the folder you specified/created manually during the Google Nik Collection installation in the  Compatible Host Applications screen/section when you clicked the plus sign (see this video tutorial at 00:27s for reference).

Then install Nik Collection 2 by DxO - It should uninstall/replace the old files (or you can use the uninstaller inside the DMG file to remove the old Google Nik Collection installation first if you prefer) and manually replace the HDR Efex Pro 2.app file installed by DxO with the one you copied to the temporary folder. Do the same with the HDR Efex Pro 2 folder, replacing it with the one you copied to the temporary folder as well. I f done correctly, in theory, when you launch HDR Efex Pro from Affinity Photo it should now call the old Google plugin instead of the DxO version. Note this is not officially supported - you are doing it at your own risk.

• Staff

Hi Hanterdro,
Regarding Photoshop plugins/addons compatibility this is a little more complicated than that. Photoshop plugins are developed using Photoshop's software development kit and (some of them) designed to take advantage of more advanced Photoshop's features/functionality in particular automation, scripting, custom ui/panels (extensions) etc, which are simply not available in Affinity Photo (or were implemented in a different way). Although we keep improving support for them, we will always be limited by the differences/different implementations between the two programs.

Regarding HDR Efex Pro in particular, I believe we can do something to fix this - the free Google version of the plugin worked with Affinity 1.6 (albeit in a limited fashion). I've already passed this/logged the issue with the dev team to be looked at.

57 minutes ago, MEB said:

Regarding HDR Efex Pro in particular, I believe we can do something to fix this - the free Google version of the plugin worked with Affinity 1.6 (albeit in a limited fashion). I've already passed this/logged the issue with the dev team to be looked at.

Yeah, it would be really nice if you could support HDR Efex Pro 2! 

And if you also add "real" backwards compatibility for the adjustment color filter, I would back my peace with Affinity Photo 1.7 ;)

:16_relieved:

• 3 months later...

I'm hoping for some recent information on compatibility of Nik filters with AP 1.7.2 running on a Mac.

I've been holding off on updating from AP 1.6 (on Mac Mini running Mojave 10.14.5) since I didn't want to break the Nik filters.

I'm using the "old" free version of the Nik Collection previously available from DXO. Will these now work if I upgrade to 1.7.2?

Would the Nik filters work in 1.7.2 if I downloaded the newer paid version from DXO? I think its the one called Nik2?

I realize it's all been very confusing, due to the many versions of Nik out there. But I'd appreciate any current info on this.

So far, the only Nik info I've been able to find on this site dates back to June 2019.

Thanks

unimportant note - I'm not sure what I did wrong, but CANNOT turn off the unintended double-spacing on this reply

• Staff

Hi ChuckLaB,
Regarding the free Google version: It runs in v1.7.2 the same way it runs in 1.6.

---

Regarding the Nik Collection 2 (the new/most up to date version):
All filters in Nik Collection 2 (the new/most up to date version) work in Affinity Photo 1.7.2 except:
HDR Efex Pro 2- currently the image not being passed to the plugin/empty plugin preview window. It may also crash Affinity Photo when closing the plugin. This issue is already logged to be looked at.

Minor known issues/limitations:
All plugins:

- images in portrait orientation display in landscape orientation in the filter's preview window. The output however is in the correct orientation (portrait).

Sharpener Pro 3 (both filters):
- the preference to apply the filter effect to a separate layer is not honoured
- Sharpener Pro 3:(1) RAW Presharpener (only): runs but cannot be used with RAW images in Affinity Photo, only on processed images in Photo Persona (there's no way to run plugins from the Develop Persona). The Nik Collection Selective Tool not supported in Affinity 
Photo.

There may be other minor issues but I haven't tested this new version enough/do not have an exhaustive list at this point.

I tried Nik Collection and other plug'ins with Affinity Photo 1.7.3

• Analog Efex Pro 2
  • Realgrain
  • Color Efex Pro 4
  • Silver Efex Pro 2
  • Exposure 5.0.2.95
  • Dfine 2
  • Portraiture3
  • Noiseware
  • ImagenomicPluginConsole
  • Topaz Glow 2 (only once)
  • Topaz Impression 2 (only once)
  • Topaz Texture Effects 2 (only once)

and it works.

N.B. I copied them into /Users/my_account/Library/Application\ Support/Affinity\ Photo/Plugins

Edited by edumac

Color efex4 still showing black screen.  mouse hover over it and the app functions behind the black screen but nothing shows up.  its like its there working but not visible to see.

google version of Nik.  AP version 1.7.3  MacOS 10.14.3   at a loss for what to do?

i Have strong problems with Google Nik collection. For example Silver Efex Pro 2 opens up nicely, but when applying the filter plugin closes and photo is still untouched. HDR Efex Pro crashes Affinity all together. Is there any hope these will work together at all?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, MEB said:

Hi ChuckLaB,
Regarding the free Google version: It runs in v1.7.2 the same way it runs in 1.6.

I use the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo 1.6.7 and also have avoided the 1.7 updates because of the Nik v1 plugin issues. While yourself and others have reported those issues resolved by the v1.7.2 update, some are apparently still having trouble. Perhaps success depends on which OSX version one is running AP. I'm using the NikCollection-1.2.12 on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.10. So, can I confidently expect normal functionality of all or most of my Nik v1 plugins after installing the v.1.7.3 update?

Thanks.

Edited by Zenfoto
Corrected some spelling, removed redundant words, and clarified my inquiry.