You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for a similar totorial for Desktop Photos

This tutorial is done on the iPad, and as a newbie to Affinity Photo desktop, I'm struggling to find the equivalent commands in the desktop version.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/creating-a-sci-fi-landscape-with-affinity-photo-for-ipad/

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

Which particular commands are struggling to find, Harry? Broadly speaking, a ‘Studio’ in the iPad version offers the functionality of one or more Studio panels in the desktop apps. APh for iPad also has a separate Selections Persona, so you can simply ignore any instructions to switch personas when you want to use the selection tools.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Which particular commands are struggling to find, Harry? Broadly speaking, a ‘Studio’ in the iPad version offers the functionality of one or more Studio panels in the desktop apps. APh for iPad also has a separate Selections Persona, so you can simply ignore any instructions to switch personas when you want to use the selection tools.

Hi, thanks. Yes, I'm trying to follow the tutorial on the desktop, but obviously, things are in a  different place, with slightly names. I mean, I'm slowly working it out, and coming to grips with words like "persona" ... new to me. I really am a new user of this software. The note .. go to the Selections Persona, and using the Flood Selection Tool So I worked out that Selection Persona was simply "Select". But then ran into the Flood Selection Tool. Nope, can't see that anywhere. and annoyingly, unlike Photoshop, there is no context help. Where typing the word in the Help Search pane brings up pointers to the right commands. But that's ok. I know they are different.

So there I am stuck at part 3.  Not very far into it I'm afraid. but I keep plugging away.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

... so I worked out that I completely cant' follow that tutorial on the Desktop. It's obviously not for a beginner.

No, it's not that. its that I am trying to find my way around the menu options. And I found a helper.

So I found this. Invaluable...  https://cutthruthefog.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/affinityphototutorials.pdf

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

7 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

So I worked out that Selection Persona was simply "Select". But then ran into the Flood Selection Tool. Nope, can't see that anywhere. and annoyingly, unlike Photoshop, there is no context help.

I’m not on my desktop machine at the moment, so I can’t post a screenshot, but you should find that when you hover over the various tools you get a tooltip displaying the name of the tool.

6 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

... so I worked out that I completely cant' follow that tutorial on the Desktop. It's obviously not for a beginner.

Keep plugging away, Harry. You’ll get there!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

so I worked out that I completely cant' follow that tutorial on the Desktop. It's obviously not for a beginner.

Probably not. Try some tutorials specifically written for the Desktop not the iPad.

Once you get familiar with all the desktop Tools and Commands then following an iPad tutorial will be much easier

PS The Flood Select Tool is on the Tools Panel docked to the left-hand side of the screen

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.