You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug in installer

I installed Designer 1.7.0.367

I did not install it in the Program Files directory. I installed it in a different directory.

However, after installation, I find that Designer has created this folder:

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Common

which contains just one file: Thumbnail.dll

The expected behaviour is that Thumbnail.dll should be in the same directory as all the other Affinity program files, in the place I chose during installation.

• Staff

Hi meadow, 

The thumbnail handler is a shared component, which means that if you install multiple Affinity products there will be only one thumbnail handler, shared between all the products. This is why it's in a folder called "Common", and not the one you chose for the application specific files.

Thanks for the reply Jon!

My idea: would it not be possible to let each installed app have it's own copy of thumbnail.dll (since it is only 400k).

I'm assuming there is a lot of overlapping files between each Affinity program, but they don't all get put in the shared directory. Why does this one specifically need to go there? Is it really the only shared component?

The reason is: it's just cleaner. I appreciate that Affinity products don't litter up the registry. They're not portable, but at least they don't vomit all over the filesystem. Except for this one file!

• Staff
16 hours ago, meadow said:

I'm assuming there is a lot of overlapping files between each Affinity program, but they don't all get put in the shared directory. Why does this one specifically need to go there? Is it really the only shared component?

Yes it is. The thumbnail handler is used by Explorer to generate thumbnails for all our file types (.afdesign, .afphoto, afpub). Only one DLL can be registered for each file type. It absolutely has to be a shared component - sorry!