You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to remove the hints at the UI bottom

Wouldn’t it make sense to have a preferences option to remove the hints at the UI bottom? I have never read them. I don’t need them. They are just distracting as soon as you have learned how to use the tools. It could be so easy to calm down the interface here. A simple checkbox and a conditional clause in the code. I bet you could do that in a minute … ;)

Clutter.png.30186c110da6e272e6aa3abfc9596d9b.png

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Wouldn’t it make sense to have a preferences option to remove the hints at the UI bottom? I have never read them. I don’t need them. They are just distracting as soon as you have learned how to use the tools. It could be so easy to calm down the interface here. A simple checkbox and a conditional clause in the code. I bet you could do that in a minute … ;)

Clutter.png.30186c110da6e272e6aa3abfc9596d9b.png

Before the option is implemented you may want to look at @carl123's finding :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Just now, dominik said:

Before the option is implemented you may want to look at @carl123's finding :)

Sorry, I misread your request. You only want to hide the help text, not the status bar. That's a different thing.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

7 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Ha, this hint is awesome. Unfortunately, it hides the paginator too! :o

Carl123 posted it before the paginator was introduced. One more good reason for your suggestion :)

d.

On 6/23/2019 at 2:58 AM, A_B_C said:

Alex, that's ironic.  I have always used Separated Mode and my complaint has always been the Status Bar/hints have never been visible to me.  If I do a reset the hints will be available for an hour or so and then they are gone.  But I will have had to spend the better part of the hour trying to get my system set back to the way it was before reset.  99.9% of the time I don't need the hints but every so often I wonder if there is a modifier that would help me do a particular task.  I agree we should be able to turn on and off the visibility of the Status Bar.  But I'd just love to be able to turn it on! :S  Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 8 months later...

I don't know about Publisher but in Designer and Photo that entire bar is used only for hints and it's killing off a solid piece of screen estate on my laptop. When I hook it up to my 4K screen it's not a big deal but it's still completely useless to me and just plain ugly. Option to disable that whole bar would be perfect 🙌

On 3/3/2020 at 1:40 PM, Bubily said:

I don't know about Publisher but in Designer and Photo that entire bar is used only for hints and it's killing off a solid piece of screen estate on my laptop.

That's not completely true. From Publisher you can use File > Edit in Designer or Edit in Photo. If you do that, and your Publisher document has more than 1 page, you'll need the Status bar to access the page navigator that lets you access different pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That's not completely true. From Publisher you can use File > Edit in Designer or Edit in Photo. If you do that, and your Publisher document has more than 1 page, you'll need the Status bar to access the page navigator that lets you access different pages.

Sure but that's still the use case only if you can use Publisher. There's no reason why the bar can't be hidden until there's multiple pages introduced in the document via Publisher. There's also an option to rework the page selector thingy and move it somewhere else, next to the canvas slider for example, so it doesn't conflict with the hints bar. Basically the same way Adobe apps do it. I've already made a little feedback thread where I address the potentially poor UX of that whole bottom area.

8 hours ago, A_B_C said:

This actually works surprisingly well. Many thanks 👍

Some time ago I reported to Serif, that in certain situations the (german) text in this status bar is too long to fit on a screen which is 2560 pixels wide..
I suggested to change this bar into an un-dockable floating window/panel which can either be left docked at the bottom or be undocked, resized/reshaped and even be moved to the 2nd screen.

Fritz

• Staff
On 6/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, Gear maker said:

I have always used Separated Mode and my complaint has always been the Status Bar/hints have never been visible to me.

This has been fixed in the forthcoming 1.8.2 releases

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon