You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Handling placed PDFs with embedded fonts

5 hours ago, Andrea Dragotta said:

I find this issue extremely important for me too. In my work I often needed to edit PDF with embedded fonts, but in the end I had to use other apps (or to completely work around the problem). It would at least be nice to know when this is planned to be implemented, if it's on their radar... 

Have you tried the PDF Passthrough function in the Publisher beta? You can't edit the PDF but at least you can embed it:

PDF Passthrough
It is now possible to flag placed PDF files for PDF passthrough. When such a file is encountered during PDF export it can be embedded verbatim in the output PDF ensuring 100% fidelity.

36 minutes ago, AdrianB said:

PDF Passthrough
It is now possible to flag placed PDF files for PDF passthrough. When such a file is encountered during PDF export it can be embedded verbatim in the output PDF ensuring 100% fidelity.

So a PDF has to be created in Publisher and flagged at output for the embedding to work when it is placed back into Publisher? How would that help with PDF's from other sources?

24 minutes ago, JoeDC said:

So a PDF has to be created in Publisher and flagged at output for the embedding to work when it is placed back into Publisher? How would that help with PDF's from other sources?

Let's say your workflow is creating publications that you export as PDF for print or web. And in these publications you embed external PDF's (like ads). With PDF Passthrough (as far as I understand it) you will now be able to let these embed these and output them verbatim in your final PDF. This may sound like an obvious feature to have, I agree, but up until now that was not the case for some embedded PDF's i Publisher.

30 minutes ago, JoeDC said:

So a PDF has to be created in Publisher and flagged at output for the embedding to work when it is placed back into Publisher? 

No, a PDF from any source.

A PDF is placed and flagged as Passthrough. It may look like garbage in Publisher if you do not have the fonts but on export it will look like the actual original PDF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It may look like garbage in Publisher if you do not have the fonts

Well that's a bit of an issue, yes? Especially if you need additional elements in the containing document to "interact" with it. What if I need to annotate or otherwise point to something within the placed PDF. How will I know the true layout while working with it?

4 minutes ago, prophet said:

Well that's a bit of an issue, yes? Especially if you need additional elements in the containing document to "interact" with it. What if I need to annotate or otherwise point to something within the placed PDF. How will I know the true layout while working with it?

See my response in this topic, it is a bit of work and I would not want to have to work like that for all time.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

It's really depressing that this issue has not been addressed. It's absolutely fundamental to workflow for all projects where you're getting material from outside. Placing PDFs with embedded fonts is normal, accepted practice and as others have pointed out, InDesign and Quark have always done it, so licensing is NOT a problem. I've accepted that Affinity is a cheaper option, so a bit less functionality compared with InDesign is fine, but this is just ridiculous. And, no, converting to a raster image is not the answer.

2 hours ago, IanPavey said:

It's really depressing that this issue has not been addressed. It's absolutely fundamental to workflow for all projects where you're getting material from outside. Placing PDFs with embedded fonts is normal, accepted practice and as others have pointed out, InDesign and Quark have always done it, so licensing is NOT a problem. I've accepted that Affinity is a cheaper option, so a bit less functionality compared with InDesign is fine, but this is just ridiculous. And, no, converting to a raster image is not the answer.

I have not tried yet, but I’ve read in the release notes that only previews are converted to raster images—just for displaying in the layout on screen. Printing should not be affected.

50 minutes ago, udrabo said:

I have not tried yet, but I’ve read in the release notes that only previews are converted to raster images—just for displaying in the layout on screen. Printing should not be affected.

Not exactly. In newest beta placed PDFs are displayed on screen as Affinity interprets them (and has always interpreted – text&fonts cause problems). Exported to PDF should though use original PDF data without interpretation. Rasterization does not happen at any stage (unless you call display adapter's drawing stuff to screen rasterization).

2 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Not exactly. In newest beta placed PDFs are displayed on screen as Affinity interprets them (and has always interpreted – text&fonts cause problems). Exported to PDF should though use original PDF data without interpretation. Rasterization does not happen at any stage (unless you call display adapter's drawing stuff to screen rasterization).

But what’s meant with that in the release notes of the current beta?
"PDF Place
Raster previews are now generated for PDFs placed for passthrough …"

10 hours ago, udrabo said:

But what’s meant with that in the release notes of the current beta?
"PDF Place
Raster previews are now generated for PDFs placed for passthrough …"

Exactly what it says: a raster preview is generated by Publisher for a placed PDF if the PDF is in "Passthrough" mode. That is in contrast to the vector preview of a placed PDF that is in "Interpret" mode.

passthrough.png.ff76825d63b78d97c0f21daf043c4fc6.png

interpret.png.1840a6169e22cccbc4a259543d7bb196.png

5 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Exactly what it says: a raster preview is generated by Publisher for a placed PDF if the PDF is in "Passthrough" mode. That is in contrast to the vector preview of a placed PDF that is in "Interpret" mode.

You are right! I read earlier that preview was based on Affinity interpreted PDF render, but this is true to original albeit rendered to pixel graphic. I guess it was changed – maybe for the better.