You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers palette workflow

When I am working on a publication I like to organise the layers like that :

one for images, one for texts, one for translation, for varnish, guides and so on...

In affinityPublisher, one object = one layer, wich in my case is quite annoying as I have to merge manually the layers... 

Am I missing an option or is it the only way publisher's layers work?

Would simply grouping the relevant layers be an option, so you have one group for all your text layers, one for all your images, one for varnish and so on. That would allow you to switch groups on and off as required and also allow you to move groups collectively or elements within groups individually.

Is there some advantage for you having all text on one layer and all images on one layer that groups wouldn't provide?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Nothing wrong with groups, my concern is to organise manually the different groups.

Ideally, when I select a group and then draw a text frame, the frame text will be part of this group. Publisher adds a new layer out of the group even if the group is selected.

If a layer inside the group is selected prior to creating a new text frame then the new layer will be created directly above the selected layer inside the group. The same is true for all layers, regardless of their type. If the group itself is selected then yes the new layer will be created outside the group.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

In Publisher you can have Layer layers (as in container Layers)

Is that what you are looking for?

layer.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

In Publisher you can have Layer layers (as in container Layers)

Nice, thank you!
But I get a totally different appearance than your screenshot in the layer panel for a new layer when I move layers inside it.
Also I can't manage to make the objects visible, I see their frames only.
What did I do wrong?

682706213_layerfolderinvisible.thumb.jpg.c6dd8b5c0f6b3b9f16ae8d75d9eae6ba.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Nice, thank you!
But I get a totally different appearance than your screenshot in the layer panel for a new layer when I move layers inside it.
Also I can't manage to make the objects visible, I see their frames only.
What did I do wrong?

The layers that you moved ‘inside’ are farther to the right than the ones in Carl’s screenshot, and they’re marked with a ‘Crop’ icon. This is because you’ve moved them to the masking position instead of the nesting position.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You dragged them into the wrong position in the Layer layer

You drag them until you see the long Horizontal blue bar not the short Vertical bar

Sorry, but I always have trouble describing that, maybe someone else can describe it better or knows of a video

Edit: Alfred beat me to it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Sorry, but I always have trouble describing that, maybe someone else can describe it better or knows of a video

https://player.vimeo.com/video/168186956/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)