You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation for English words in Asian language.

Please make hyphenation for English words in Asian language possible.
If I enable hyphenation on Asian text, text style will be totally broken.

Adobe's can hyphenate only English words in an Asian language.(Refer attached image)

Image 2019-06-22 at 11.21.06 PM.png

I think this is already supported.

Define the Paragraph Text Styles that you use for the Asian language as having a hyphenation language of None.

Then define the Character Text Style that you use for English as having a hyphenation language of English.

This kind of setup works for spell checking, and I think it will work for hyphenation, though I don't have time to check right now. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Then define the Character Text Style that you use for English as having a hyphenation language of English.

Does this mean I have to set a style to each English word/sentence?

Adobe's does this automatically without setting manually.

Yes, you should apply a style for each different language you're using. 

I don't see how an application could figure out the language for spell checking or hyphenation automatically, in general, without such a hint from the user.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see how an application could figure out the language for spell checking or hyphenation automatically, in general, without such a hint from the user.

How about special hyphenation rule that ignores non-alphabet characters for Asian languages?
(But specify certain language to alphabet characters such as English - to entire content)
I suppose Adobe is doing so.

Basically alphabets are for foreign words in Japanese or Chinese.
It's easy to judge what to target.

The text in the original post was set to English(Refer attached image)
There is no selection for Chinese/Japanese in the language list, but I enabled "East Asian feature" in the Type setting.
That's how I created the text on Adobe.

Image 2019-06-23 at 4.36.52 PM.png

I don't work with Asian languages, but I would expect that you'd use a different font for the English vs the Asian text. If so, your most efficient workflow for doing that would probably be to apply the font based on the paragraph or character style you've chosen. And at that point, in addition to selecting the font your style could set the language appropriately, or enable the East Asian feature.

Beyond that (or even at this point) I'm beyond my level of experience. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't work with Asian languages, but I would expect that you'd use a different font for the English vs the Asian text.

No, the same font are used for both Asian language and English in most of case. 

7 minutes ago, ashf said:

No, the same font are used for both Asian language and English in most of case. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

-- Walt
PC: