You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Right tab control malfunction

Forum usage hint: It's much better for everyone if you simply attach a .jpg or .png version of a screenshot. Then there's no need for you to create a .afpub file, or for us to download it to see what you're talking about.

The .afpub file can also be useful, but in this case it just shows you have no tab stops set for any of the paragraphs.

I agree that the tooltip is incorrect; it says Left for all of them.

But setting a Right tab stop works just fine for me. The text inserted at the tab stop is right-aligned, and expands to the left from that point as I would expect it to do. Were you perhaps expecting something different?

Also, your other questions in that document should be posted separately, I think, if you expect an answer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Re forum usage hint:  My theory at the time was that parties who were interested in observing the phenomenon might want to be able to see it for themselves.  In order to do so, one might need to be in the program with a document available.  I did not need to use any tabs in the simple message, so none were set.  One would think that being already in a document would be an efficiency but, I just realized that there may be users who are bandwidth constrained, so to any of those, I apologize.  

I thought you folks were more advanced than North America as to Internet speeds.  Do you have a listing of forum rules that delimit the file sizes/counts?  I just want to help.

That which you describe as your right-aligned tab experience is also what I would expect, but not what I experienced.  As I stated in the .afpub it left aligns.
My machine hardware is somewhat like but lessor than yours in performance, but AMD based for cpu and video.  This appears to be a problem that neither you nor I can solve as users.

Congratulations on your "almost milestone" Mr. Farrell - only 9 more posts to go!

4 hours ago, JonasTH said:

That which you describe as your right-aligned tab experience is also what I would expect, but not what I experienced.

So, can you provide a .afpub document which demonstrates what you experienced? That would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I hope this will help others. I found this thread because I thought right-tab function (along with decimal-centering and other special tab types) was not working correctly. When I changed what I thought was the regular left tab to a right tab, nothing happened. 

In my case, I found the culprit to be extra tab characters in placed text. Once I revealed the unwanted formatting via Text > Show Special Characters (AKA "invisibles"), I could easily Find and Replace the extra tab characters using the special character input \t in the Find menu. I just replaced series of tabs like \t \t \t \t \t with a single \t (the menu changes these keystrokes to tab glyphs), then the special tabs, previously obscured by surrounding tabs, behaved as I expected. 

Note: I use MacOS but I'm posting this here because it applies to either platform and this is where I found the pertinent thread.