You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't get master pages to apply

I can create Master page A and apply it to the first page of my document. I cannot apply it to any other page of the document. Since I would like the first page to be different from the rest, I decided to duplicate it and try applying Master B to the rest of the document, but it did not fully duplicate. I had to reset column guides and add a numbering field. I still cannot get it to apply to the remainder of the document. I also added an extra photo placeholder and text box to the first master but it also applied it to the second master also. Having watched a couple of tutorials on creating master pages I am confused. I have InDesign experience but although this seems similar I am not having similar results. 

RR Template.afpub

My way of dealing with master pages may not be the most efficient but it works for me.

I opened your file and looked at your master pages, and then dragged master page B over onto normal page 2 and it applied it. This works for me.

In a large document, I have created sections (icon on pages tab toolbar) and in the box to create a section have selected the master page of choice for that section.

RR Template.afpub

37 minutes ago, phooph said:

I can create Master page A and apply it to the first page of my document. I cannot apply it to any other page of the document. Since I would like the first page to be different from the rest, I decided to duplicate it and try applying Master B to the rest of the document, but it did not fully duplicate. I had to reset column guides and add a numbering field. I still cannot get it to apply to the remainder of the document. I also added an extra photo placeholder and text box to the first master but it also applied it to the second master also. Having watched a couple of tutorials on creating master pages I am confused. I have InDesign experience but although this seems similar I am not having similar results. 

RR Template.afpub

"I cannot apply it to any other page of the document." do you mean you cannot apply it or do you mean you do not want to apply it?

To apply a Master Page use the pages panel/studio select the first page you want to apply a given Master Page to (Selecting a page means there is a Blue Outline around it) then scroll down to the last page you want that Master Page applied to and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click on that page, The pages should be highlighted in blue. Now right click on one of the highlighted pages and choose Apply Master... from the menu, use the drop menu from at the top to choose which master you want and click OK. There are a number of choices available in the Apply Master window, experiment with them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, phooph said:

I decided to duplicate it

You should remove Master B and rebuild it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This did not solve the problem. Whatever I put on one master shows up on the other. And what I delete from one deletes from the other.  I have deleted and built new ones a couple times now and they remain identical. 

So I have deleted the entire document and started over three times. I had it all set up with only one master page, with page numbering and column guides and it looked like it was working as the guides and numbers were showing on all pages, and suddenly everything disappeared from the master page and all document pages. I deleted the master and started again and it applied the column guides, but the numbering remained a # instead of numbers. 

RR Template.afpub

After opening your file and looking at the master I noticed there was a double up of the page no, so deleted it from the master, but did not find a second copy which would explain the double up, unsure why?

I then added new page no. field, which seems to be working. I then created a new master, master B, using the add master button on master pages tab. I added some stuff to it, to make it clearly identifiable. I then selected normal pages 2 and 3 and applied master B by right clicking on selected page and apply master. I did the same with pages 8-12. I did notice that on the apply master screen there is a little tick box for “replace existing”, that might be worth checking out. This is like a step by step of what I did. Hope it helps.

TEst Template.afpub

Thanks Kimbo.I also noted a doubling up of numbers. Not sure why except that the numbering disappeared so I redid it and ended up with double numbers. There seems to be no way to reveal lingering artifacts, or to see stuff that disappeared but is still in the formatting somewhere. On other software I could Select All and see everything that was there.

I see you were able to create individual Master pages. I still have not been able to do that. My numbers are working, however.  I started over again and am only using Master A and was able to get the document to work. I did notice the tic box and unchecked it this time when I applied the Master page and that seemed to make it work. I am not sure what that is there for except possibly to replace a master on a page with a newer one. Thanks for the support.

Ok so this is gonna sound really weird and stupid, but I duplicated an existing master and put different content on it, and applied it to various pages, and found that in the page tab (normal page), I had to double click the page to make the changes show up.

Beyond this I am completely out of advice :)

But have learned heaps in this process, so thank you.