You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 11/9/2018 at 3:18 PM, Mithferion said:

This gives me hope

Gimme hope, Jo'anna !!! - Or as one says in German "Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt". ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Gimme hope, Jo'anna !!! - Or as one says in German "Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt". ;)

Or in spanish: la esperanza muere al último:) 

Best regards!

20 hours ago, v_kyr said:

It can be so easy. Why Serif don't look at ??? It can be handled a better way? Or NO?

In German: Macht es doch besser! Jetzt ist die Gelegenheit!

9 minutes ago, ernie-f said:

Jetzt ist die Gelegenheit!

Or, as we say in English, carpe diem! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

'Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. There never was much hope, he answered. Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.'

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

While shape builder is an important thing for me, the work around using divide and then combining is also in dire need of rework. Too many junk points or curves. That issue has been since years. I wish they fix it ASAP. It's becoming increasingly frustrating to keep on waiting. My bet is it's going to take at least beyond 2020 to fix them (Very happy to be proven wrong). My reason is right now they are busy with publisher then they will be busy with DAM tool in 2020. Given those are their priorities (my opinion btw), I highly doubt we'll see the Boolean issues fixed before this decade. 

19 minutes ago, pmabdullah87 said:

then they will be busy with DAM tool

This assumption you draw from what?

On another thread, the moderator said that they are not currently working on DAM (unfortunately).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

50 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

On another thread, the moderator said that they are not currently working on DAM (unfortunately).

Thanks for pointing out. I would like them to fix the current plaguing issues first before working on new apps. But nonetheless a DAM would be a great addition to the suite which would make the workflow much better

51 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

This assumption you draw from what

I read it in the forums

Well, here is what I can say from what I’ve read:

- Matt Priestley will be working on the issues present in boolean operations and expand strokes.

- Matt is not part of the Publisher or the DAM team.

- Matt and Ashley Hewson have talked about the DAM application, and in fact, it’d be among us at some point of 2020

Also, yeah, to me, the logical step is to fix the issues with boolean operations before making a Shape Builder Tool.

Best regards!

EDIT: Added some links to support what I just wrote. Notice that some of the links have their own context, so among the lines you can read what I am refering to.

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

Well, here is what I can say from what I’ve read:

- Matt Priestley will be working on the issues present in boolean operations and expand strokes.

- Matt is not part of the Publisher or the DAM team.

- Matt and Ashley Hewson have talked about the DAM application, and in fact, it’d be among us at some point of 2020

Also, yeah, to me, the logical step is to fix the issues with boolean operations before making a Shape Builder Tool.

Best regards!

EDIT: Added some links to support what I just wrote. Notice that some of the links have their own context, so among the lines you can read what I am refering to.

@MithferionThanks a lot. I mostly use forums in my mobile and hence there are some challenges in linking them unlike the ease / familiarity of a desktop.

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 3:18 PM, Mithferion said:

I didn't notice until today that DrawPlus had a Shape Builder Tool. This gives me hope. :)

image.png.512890217eead39da3f529606d7bbfdf.png

Best regards!

hi I just found out about the existence of DrawPlus x8 !!!

What is Drawplus x8 and what does it have to do with Affinity Designer?

5 minutes ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

hi I just found out about the existence of DrawPlus x8 !!!

It is part of the older line of Serif products, which are no longer being developed. It has nothing to do with any of the Serif Affinity products.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

Like Affinity Designer, DrawPlus X8 is a hybrid vector/raster drawing application produced by Serif. Unlike AD, it’s for Windows only — and as Walt says, it’s no longer being developed (but it’s still available to purchase as a ‘legacy’ application).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Affinity, 

I love using your software and with each update it's getting better and better. Really looking forward to Publisher dropping shortly as well which will have no doubt focused on all of your attention.

I use Designer predominately and there are two tools that I know a lot of people would benefit from. I was wondering if they might be in future plans and if there is any time scale?

1) Shape Builder - i know designer already features similar tools but it would be awesome to have a dedicated tool similar to illustrator which would really help with productivity and accuracy. This thread dates back to 2015 so fingers crossed aha!

2) Expand Strokes to Shapes -  This would be so useful in so many different ways. 

Many thanks, 

Cailum

On 6/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, Cailum said:

1) Shape Builder - i know designer already features similar tools but it would be awesome to have a dedicated tool similar to illustrator which would really help with productivity and accuracy. This thread dates back to 2015 so fingers crossed aha!

As they said on ther official account:

On 6/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, Cailum said:

2) Expand Strokes to Shapes -  This would be so useful in so many different ways. 

Expand stroke is available in DEsigner, is that what you are refering to? Also, it needs to be improved sin with smalls sizes, the resultas are less than acceptable.

Best regards!

• 4 months later...

I would like to add to this debate and also request this feature. OR if not this feature then at least have the boolean tools work properly. For me, there are 4 glaringly bad issues with the current Affinity Designer set up which I will try to explain.

1) When cutting different shapes from each other - if the shapes are quite complex, Affinity adds literally hundreds of nodes to the shape. It even does it if the shape is relatively simple. See screenshots.

2) When trying to select these completely pointless nodes I am given a square shape selector to highlight and select. It makes it extremely fiddly if I want to delete those nodes in a confined space where I don't want to delete other nodes from other shapes.

3) With these hundreds of nodes it makes any shape really heavy in processing power. It slows down the app significantly and in my case repeatedly crashed. Worse, however, is when you want to continue to cut out shapes from each other if one of those shapes has lots of nodes it simply refuses to work. Instead of the shapes cutting away or even adding together they both simply disappear. Affinity just can't handle it. Again in my case, it was so bad I had to manually redraw complex shapes from scratch or start over. Or on the shape with tons of nodes I had to manually delete them until Affinity was able to process the boolean command again.

4) When using circles and the golden ration to design (as an example) the divide boolean is pretty much the only tool you can use. However, what happens is it adds hundreds of tiny spec layers that in many cases are so small they offer absolutely no relevance. The other day I was making a logo using about 10 inter lapping circles. I selected them all to divide in the hope I could simply manually add the shapes I wanted with the add boolean. However, I ended up with over 400 layers. Good luck trying to select which shape/layer goes together and good luck trying to manually select the shapes with a square (fixed) selector.

These are my thoughts. Maybe the shape builder tool is not necessarily needed. Personally, I think it would improve Affinity and the workflow significantly. However, I am a big advocate for zero bloating of the tool. BUT the current boolean tools in my mind do not work, especially when getting into complex shapes and/or patterns. Which ultimately is what Affinity Designer should be handling.

I love Affinity and I appreciate the work you are doing.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 12.32.20.png

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 12.33.19.png

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 12.33.32.png

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 12.52.30.png

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.59.10.png

• Staff

Hi davidlower8,
Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of all those issues (except point 2 see below). The boolean operations code must be revised/be more robust and we do intend review it for an upcoming version.

Regarding selecting nodes (point 2) you have two additional ways to select them:
- press and hold alt then click and drag to use lasso node selection
- press and hold alt then click as much times as needed to use polygon node selection

1 hour ago, davidlower8 said:

I did not know about the lasso ability

See Status bar - sometimes there is useful information :-)

image.thumb.png.cd80a498da037a02f3422b4995f82d26.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, frankstallone said:

1.8 didn't include a shape builder tool, did it? 😇

No.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil