You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, ChristAlix said:

a great tool!

WOW, it is crazy !!!, one click in ADesigner.

Select all layers,

2018-01-25_011310.png.453cbf47bd87324502b430545d744a3e.png

click on Add,

2018-01-25_011607.png.8f7a3c82e7b6b1feedbd2594152d63ce.png

and done.

2018-01-25_011907.png.449d4503b8f8d5623cec39f927e0f422.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

For some cases, like when you have several overlaping figures, that Tool saves you a lot of time, for example:

Best regards!

I want to bring you an other side why I wont this feature in Affinity Designer.

I do many drawings for replicate old woodcut drawings. The clients wish clear vector-data. What is to do?

1. Scann and then vectorize, but how? The client will have a vectordrawing for i.E. got a laser cut or do on a mechenical …

2. Scann and make a trace is fault. Everebody know it's not the same.

3. Redrawing it. And yes I redraw all drawings in vector.

For this I use often AI, Xara and Serif DP X8. After cleaning it up, the drawings are ready for laser cut or bring on film for other purposes.
The wonder is the scalabalitty, because is vector.

The using technique is „shape builder brush/tool“

So PLS ad it in Designer too.

Here is an example of my work done in Xara with its shape builder tool:

dürer.jpg

7 minutes ago, ernie-f said:

Here is an example of my work done in Xara with its shape builder tool:

That’s a very nice reworking of one of Dürer's many wonderful engravings. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/22/2017 at 8:38 PM, Hokusai said:

Shape Builder was first added to Illustrator in CS 5 or version 15 which was released in 2010. If Shape Builder is such a BASIC TOOL then why did it take Adobe 14 versions or 23 years to add it to Illustrator? I can understand and appreciate that it speeds up workflows but to claim that it is a basic tool is a bit of an exaggeration. I agree with Alfred on this, it might be nice but it is something that can wait as the Boolean operations pretty much do the same thing. 

Hokusai

Would you mind further explaining how to use boolean operations in place of Ai's shape builder?

There is a screenshot of my project below. I'm trying to erase the outside lines of the 4 circles to leave a geometric flower

Any help on this is much appreciated 

Screenshot (7).png

On 1/23/2017 at 10:12 AM, Alfred said:

I don't see the point in having a Shape Builder Tool before the Geometry commands upon which it would be based (Add, Subtract and Intersect) are working reliably in all scenarios.

Would you mind further explaining how to use boolean operations in place of Ai's shape builder?

There is a screenshot of my project below. I'm trying to erase the outside lines of the 4 circles to leave a geometric flower

Screenshot (7).png

44 minutes ago, caseyrtomberlin said:

1. Marquee-select all five circles, including the smaller central one.

2. Click on the ‘Divide’ icon in the Geometry section of the main toolbar.

3. Delete each of the four unwanted outer curves.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

oooooooh shit dude. As easy as that. Alfred my man i really appreciate the help.

Screenshot (8).png

Edited by caseyrtomberlin
more info

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

In this example we can see, that boolean operations can do a lot of things quite easily. He just needs to know how to do it :-)

However, it is also evident, that their implementation still has large reserves.

Although they are the same and completely symmetrically spaced circles, after their distribution are some segments very complicated.

2018-01-26_232600.png.c5e01a6e184e6ee24f31022bbf500eae.png

Identical segments at other positions transfered into curves optimally.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:29 PM, Mithferion said:

For some cases, like when you have several overlaping figures, that Tool saves you a lot of time, for example:

I admit, I didn't understand why the tool was much needed, but that example is very convincing.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

11 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I admit, I didn't understand why the tool was much needed, but that example is very convincing.

When you see it in good use you can understand why it is so popular.

Best regards!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been curious about practicing using the golden ratio/circle method in logo designs, but most every example video tutorial seems to be using the AI shape builder tool.

Since the AD tool is not here yet, I tried to use the technique described in the video example provided above, but I have not been successful. I know it is using Inkscape vs AD, but I was hoping the techniques and operations would work similarly and I cannot achieve the same result.

I have attached a file attempting to recreate this effect with a random assortment of overlapping shapes...

Steps Taken (per the video instructions video):
Arrange overlap shapes; Select all, Combine
Create rectangle, resize; Move rectangle to back
Select All Fill Red; Divide [Division]

I tried multiple times and the pieces do not divide the way I would expect or how they did in the example video using Inkscape. Maybe the operations work differently in the two programs, but the operations seemed almost identical. The background wasn't separated, and only some underlying shape overlaps seem to have been recognized in the divide operation rather than pieces being created at each intersecting line. It's as if the overlapping lines confused AD's boolean function because it's not consistent at all.

Could anyone help see what I'm missing or doing wrong? I really would like to practice this technique within AD to prevent needing to go to AI, but I'm currently stuck.

AD Golden Ratio Design Attempt jdp.afdesign

Thanks Affinity Team,  

Just recently purchased Affinity, and  I am Enjoying it!  I heard you will be adding some features and tools to the software. looking forward to some changes and updates. (2017) 

Hopefully, similar to 'Image Trace', as well as a tool like the 'Shape Builder Tool'.

It's 2018, and Curious to know where Affinity thoughts are on these?

Thanks
          Jacob

@jdpappadeas - I think what you're missing there is just adding the "combine" operation is not necessary. 

Just arrange the shapes - draw a rectangle over them - (don't have to worry about combining them or filling all - just fill the rectangle) - 

Then Select all the shapes including the rectangle and click: Divide. 

You should have it divided into it's constituent pieces - all filled red. 

I'd suggest trying it with a simpler shape so there aren't so many variables as to your expectations. AD can handle very complex shapes, but it can be confusing for us to sort out what our expected result is if there are too many intersections etc. 

If you'd like - I can attach an example with my results (they are very similar to the video - but I think AD is stronger with it's boolean operations). Inkscape is looking much better than the last time I used it for sure too! :)

goldenCircleExample2.afdesign

the dartboards go from #1 - overlapping circles similar to what was shown in the video to #6 - showing the finished, cleaned up result. 

there were more artifacts in the process than I'd like, but the Divide command did work successfully for me. 

Thank you @muddypawsco for the clear explanation!! That was what kept happening (trying to use combine before Divide).

I think I was playing around with the boolean operations earlier in my exploration with AD and didn't quite have a handle on how Divide worked on its own. When I saw the Inkscape tutorial I took it as a necessary step because the functions seemed to be so similar. There do seem to be a few extra artifacts and pieces, but they are easily moved out of the way to focus on leaving only the shape segments you want to keep for a potential design.

Not to detract from the rest of those who still wish to see a Shape Builder tool created for AD (it's workflow benefits are undeniable), but this really helps clarify a key workaround for some situations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 12:35 PM, macdaibhi said:

+ 1 for shape builder tool. Once it's available (along with offset path), i'm going to be sure to but affinity designer! Loved the demo, but cant justify switching from Adobe just yet! Keep it up guys! :)

You and I value the same things. Shape builder + offset path all day err day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't notice until today that DrawPlus had a Shape Builder Tool. This gives me hope. :)

image.png.512890217eead39da3f529606d7bbfdf.png

Best regards!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A shape builder would be the one thing that would make AD better than AI. I recently tried to make a seal with the golden ratio. With a shape builder like in AI it would be easy to make, but even when I tried to divide everything and cut out the parts I didn't want by hand, there was a big issue. After dividing some lines weren't lines anymore! They were just tons of points, so it looks like a line. And even the shapes weren't always right after dividing, so there wasn't a way to actually get out the shape I wanted it to be. If DrawPlus has a shape builder tool, they have the know-how, so it shouldn't be such a big problem to implement a shape builder. Please bring it to AD! golden_ratio_seal.thumb.png.bf7a7bbb89e1cc7ed871f91ff7497af9.png