You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export is super slow

Thank you all. Yes, CPU is going to about 105% for Publisher while exporting. I've also changed some of the ads to EPS which speeded up a bit. I don't have any missing resources since I have them on my disk. I'll try to check the fonts. Usually, I create text styles for everything; in this case, time did matter and I had to do a quick and dirty thing. There was someone else who did this job before and I had to take over the layout. Maybe I'll change the whole thing for the next issue :5_smiley:

By the way: Editing the .afpub file is much faster and in my opinion far less resource-intensive as it was with InDesign. 

I'll let you know the results of my tests.

I guess I found the issue: it's the "DESTRUCCION" font which was slowing down the export. I've changed (found a similar one: "321Impact", a font based on the Helvetica-like Impact) it and now the export takes about 50 secs which is acceptable. 

I didn't think about this font as the export always worked with InDesign before. So I'll just use this other font. They're so close, I guess no-one will spot the difference.

In case someone would like to check if it's indeed the font which is slowing down the export, I've attached it here.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

DESTRUCCION.ttf

1 hour ago, toco said:

I guess I found the issue: it's the "DESTRUCCION" font which was slowing down the export.

I am able to export the attached pdf with that font + stroke in about 1 second.   destruccion.pdf

Possibly it helps to reset your font data base in AfPub preferences > misc > fonts.

Still curios: for what purpose did you duplicate these title text frames?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

Still curios: for what purpose did you duplicate these title text frames?

When opening your file again with the font activated I guess I found your reason. You seem to duplicate the frames because of the wide stroke assigned to the text formatting. Just a hint:

Instead of duplicating the text frames (and their text on every page) you can apply the stroke with an effect (and optionally save it as object style besides a text style):

1255452640_effectinsteaddoubletextframeforstroke1.jpg.010f08145475c3b05de8a5229521bafb.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. I found out that I can set the font stroke to be put to the background, so I do not need the effect. 

Resetting the font database helped a bit, but the export is still very slow when I use Destruccion as the main title font (way faster than on the first few tries, but still about 10 Minutes). So I think I'll stick with 321Impact. Whit that, the export takes about a minute.

Cheers and thanks for your advice.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-07 um 20.37.54.png

2 hours ago, toco said:

export is still very slow when I use Destruccion

Seems to be mainly a font related issue. You also could reset your mac's font database or re-download the font file in case it's corrupted (I did my test with a fresh download) to limit/detect your issue's origin. Or start a new thread in the Questions section of the forum. I don't see this your slow export speed issue as a bug of Affinity.

Your stroke behind solution is smart! – (In your screenshot the tooltip doesn't show the text for the actually selected option but for the un-selected, right?)

• 2 months later...

Hi guys (@Jon P in particular)

I'm trying to export a 81-page coffee-table style book. I created it in Designer, then imported it into Publisher to prepare for KDP publishing.

I started the export process at ~ 01:50 this morning. I just checked on the progress (at 08:50) expecting to see a happy file and and the export is maybe a third complete (so, like 7 hours - see attached image).

I was pretty sure that's not normal, and after reading this thread I'm convinced that something isn't happy. This is the first time I'm using Publisher so I'm sure there are things I could do to optimise my workflow, but also, hot damn, ~21 hours for an export cannot be right, even if if it is a complex, poorly optimised high-res-image book.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 08.49.34.png

1 hour ago, DWright said:

Hi @MrMe,

Can you please use the Dropbox link below to send me a copy of your .afpub file along with any resource files that you used in your document as well as the PDF export settings that you are using so we can investigate the issue that you are having

https://www.dropbox.com/request/bm6zvcqG7YgLdLbtyrSQ

Thanks for getting in touch @DWright. I'm busy uploading the document now (all the images should still be embedded).
Just on thing — despite opening and saving the file in AfPub, it still an AfDesign file for some reason.

• Staff

Hi @MrMe,

The objects that are causing the PDF export issue are the recolour/black and white adjustments if you set rasterise option in the PDF export to Everything the PDF will export normally. It's related to the colour space of the document (32bit RGB) in combination with these adjustments, we have logged this with our developers to investigate further.

42 minutes ago, DWright said:

Hi @MrMe,

The objects that are causing the PDF export issue are the recolour/black and white adjustments if you set rasterise option in the PDF export to Everything the PDF will export normally. It's related to the colour space of the document (32bit RGB) in combination with these adjustments, we have logged this with our developers to investigate further.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Now that you mention the colour space, I remembered another issue I encountered while working on this project. I tried to change the colour space to RGB8 (in hopes that that would shorten the export time), and CMKY (in preparation for a KDP-ready export) — both times I tried to switch Publisher hung completely. Could that also be related to the colour adjustments? Or is that a separate issue?

4 hours ago, DWright said:

The objects that are causing the PDF export issue are (...) related to the colour space of the document (32bit RGB) in combination with (...)

@DWright, is the option of 32bit RGB possibly a general issue within APub? How about PDF export file size without custom 'adjustment' settings ...?

/&tab=comments#comment-389874:

• the buggy file size of output PDF might simply get solved with 1-click:
  • In your document setup change the color from 16 bit to 8 bit.

– What projects demand 32bit RGB within Apub? @MrMe, what made you create your .afpub in 32bit?

On 2/4/2020 at 12:02 AM, thomaso said:

– What projects demand 32bit RGB within Apub? @MrMe, what made you create your .afpub in 32bit?

I wish I could say there was some intentionality behind the decision, but that was just the colour space inherited from AfDesigner, which I assume came from an image I started with or something (or maybe it is default when starting a project).

Interesting fact though (for me at least) — after rasterising the images, the project switched to RGB8 no problem (which seems to be in line with what @DWright said above).

6 hours ago, MrMe said:

I wish I could say there was some intentionality behind the decision, but that was just the colour space inherited from AfDesigner, which I assume came from an image I started with or something (or maybe it is default when starting a project).

Do I understand right that your workflow to create the .afpub was...

1. open an .afdesign or .afphoto file with APub
2. set the .afpub document settings afterwards (page size, margin etc.) without setting the .afpub's color space?

... or was DWright's note...:

On 2/3/2020 at 6:23 PM, DWright said:

It's related to the colour space of the document (32bit RGB)

... not related to the .afpub document – but to containing resources only?

• 1 year later...

Last week i was exporting some files with about 400 pages and it gas fine, about 30 sec to a minute. Yesterday i tried to export de same file with about a hundred more pages (505 pages in total) and i had leave it over night to be exported, i woke up and is still exporting