You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with sparks and fire and smoke

Hi all, I have a shoot this afternoon and I want to add sparks and fire and smoke as in the test image I'm working on but it looks STOOPID! Can anyone offer any help or suggestions other than 'be a better artist'? I just can't seem to make it work. I have a bunch of cool brushes in these shapes.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

PhilRose  0424.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

16 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions other than 'be a better artist'?

Well, you’re a better artist than I am, Phil (not that that would be difficult)! I think it might look more realistic if you were to decrease the opacity of the added elements.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

First, I would say it's more difficult to add fire and smoke on this image, it would be easier on one taken at night.

Perhaps you can find this tutorial helpfull:

Few minutes ago, I would have said I don't have in mind images of fire in daylight... and i just remembered Notre-Dame... :(:61_sob: You'll find a lot of pic about the flames and the smoke searching for this.

Fire is generally bright - often very bright! Your fire falls in the mid range of values in your image.

Fire is also a light source, so to paint it realistically you need to light everything that the fire would illuminate, and cast shadows across the object too.

Fire is also translucent, as is smoke.

Painting realistic fire is very hard!

Painting realistic fire into a daylight photo of a complex subject like a deer is very very hard!

--

Also watch some tutorials…

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Get thee to Google ;).

Grab one or more of the fire pngs (free or paid depending on your situation) and play with layering and blend modes. There are many different flavors and styles to choose from. You can also use jpgs of imagery on black backgrounds. Just use with a Screen blend.

If your goal is to learn how to paint them yourself that's still the best way to get reference images to try and emulate. Glad you have some "fire" brushes.... Right tool for the right job and all.

Threw this together in a minute or two with the first several images that popped up: (I doubled up on two out of the three using screen and soft light blends. Screen on the single image (the one with the black background))
883889747_deerfire.png.fcb2ba877105312c9c6e043dc3cfaad6.png