kpatart

Animations made with After Effects and Affinity Designer

Hi guys, 

I wanted to show some work I made using Affinity Designer and After Effects. When I started learning how to animate, it was hard to find info on how to make designs in Affinity Designer and animate them with After Effects.

After some experimentation, I figured a decent workflow. As you can see, I'm not limited by the lack of integration between the two software suites. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Hey, great work. Two years ago I created characters and assets in Designer which I animated in Motion. I used the .PSD format in double or triple resolution of the final output size to move the graphics over from Designer to Motion, and made the final structure there.

What workflow did You use for AE?

Posted (edited)

@Rocketdrive

I used EPS format, which I imported to After Effects, then converted it into shape layers. Then I used explode shape layers (script available from AEScripts) to break everything into individual shape layers. From there I merged various shape layers together (again using the explode shape layers script) so that I could cut down on the number of layers I needed to worry about.

From there, it was just a matter of animating everything. This method works well with complicated animations as well- I have a short snippet of a more complex below:

Whilst it is a bit more work than using illustrator, I don't think it's too much extra work. I've found that preparing files for animation with After Effects always requires some preparation anyway, so 5 more minutes of work isn't too much of a hassle, especially if I can get away from paying 30 bucks a month on another Adobe license.

s.gif

Edited by kpatart
File wasn't uploading properly

Looooooks awesome. Great workflow. It is really nice to see that these kind of animations can be done without Illustrator especially if you can find an effective workaround. 

THX for sharing this tip, probably I will use it someday!

@robert.sarudy

Thanks, I might make a Youtube tutorial in the future to show the entire workflow. I think After Effects is one app which holds people back from giving up on illustrator, but it's entirely possible to make everything work with Affinity Designer and Photo. 

Nice work. Have you tried the same workflow with Davinci Fusion free version (or commercial, if you have it)?

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

@SrPx I know the question wasn't for me ;-) but I know that Fusion plays OK with SVG. I have tried importing only simple shapes, but am not sure how good it behaves with complex vectors with multiple shapes. I may give it a try once I'm back from vacation.

Nice !  :)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

12 hours ago, mimuel said:

hi,

easy animations can be done with SVGator (https://www.svgator.com/)

the result is an animated SVG!

michael

Subscription based and the same cost than the whole Adobe Photography plan !  :o 

I'd rather use Synfig  (it's free). (for SVG and many other types of exports, and fully fledged 2D animation package... FREE.  )

@SrPx

No, I haven't. I'm not sure I can make animations which are so complicated with Da Vinci. I'm working on making character animations mostly and I don't think there's anything available that can beat After Effects at the moment.

Some more animations I have done with the workflow (Affinity Designer + After Effects). At the moment I have not encountered any major drawbacks with using Affinity Designer and After Effects. 

I'll be experimenting a lot more, so if anyone's interested, you can check it out here

On 6/22/2019 at 6:34 PM, kpatart said:

After some experimentation, I figured a decent workflow. As you can see, I'm not limited by the lack of integration between the two software suites. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

this is awesome and I'm happy to find   works where a vector line become alive ! great job!

I spent time on this too but in HTML, just to add also interactivity and extend the range of use, in video too with the same project.

The  workflow is about the same with timeline and shapes.

You did a good job and I think you can take a look also at HypePro, your skills will find more applications fields.

take a look MEDUSA in this forum and the animated version here ( in HTML) . I share all files, AD + HypeProject.

Michelangelo 

On 7/30/2019 at 1:14 AM, dcrosby said:

Really nice work. I'm curious, do you just have the After Effects app as an individual sub rather than the full suite?

Individual sub, no need for the whole suite, I cut the cost down by getting a yearly subscription. I still save over 500 dollars, which is good to me.