You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freeform Gradient tool

15 hours ago, Smooo67 said:

I would so love to see a freeform gradient tool in Designer - you are almost there where you can select the way points in the linear tool but to then be able to have them as a controllable spline would be awesome.

Is this something you will include into future updates?

I think it will come at some time (see the roadmap here. The call it 'Mesh fill tool').

You already can create something in that direction using multiple fills. It is not the same but worth a try:

multiple-fill.thumb.png.75496aed9a615028ca6ceadd6c9c04ea.png

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

9 minutes ago, Smooo67 said:

but its a clunky workaround and sort of close but needs to be able to spline control the ribbon and its nodes for smooth mix blends - especially for organic shapes 

As I said it's a workaround. But for some kind of textures it does work. I'm sure the Affinity team has some interesting things up their sleeves.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 years later...
On 6/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, Smooo67 said:

I would so love to see a freeform gradient tool in Designer - you are almost there where you can select the way points in the linear tool but to then be able to have them as a controllable spline would be awesome.

Is this something you will include into future updates?

Agreed. I first started learning how to use digital art programs in school with Adobe Illustrator. I still miss using the puppet warp and mesh gradient tool to this day. Seeing Affinity coming up with their own alternatives would be great. Adding these tools would also encourage more people to migrate to Affinity, as it would no longer pay [for them] to have a ridiculous subscription to something that you also get for an one-time fee of $50.

• 9 months later...