You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Formatting page numbering, for the TOTAL PAGES (page-count) field as, for example, Roman numerals?

Hi,

Although I can format the Page Number field as i, ii, iii, iv, etc using the Section Manager from the Pages studio, there doesn't seem to be any way of setting a matching format for the Total Pages field (page-count). Please see the attached picture.

Have I overlooked something?

Thanks in anticipation, for any solutions suggested.

page number and page count format in Affinity Publisher.jpg

View > Studio > Fields

1478964014_ScreenShot2019-06-22at11_07_16AM.png.7df95aee8de4b0dfaacfa4ab9c9f3eec.png

<Last Page> always works there is a problem with <Last Page in Run> not giving the right number.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

It works quite charming for me. v408 sections & pagina type.afpub
I can not choose to mix Number Styles within one section.

Section one is right and proper, Pages in the Section are 3, Pages in Publication are 16. Section two has 7 pages, on page 4 it says it is page 4 of 11 section pages in a publication of 16 pages. It gets worse, Section 3 has 5 pages, on page 12 it says Page 12 of 16 pages in both the section and the publication.

I agree that it is a bummer about mixing Number Styles not being allowed.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Apparently the second number in my sample .afpub does not name an amount of pages but a specific page number: the last in that section.

# / # / # means:

– current page number  
last page number of its section (not the sections page amount)
– last page number of document (= total amount of pages)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Update 2019-06-24: Please note this post reflects my earlier misunderstanding of how the fields work. It's been left here to serve as an archival record, but I have subsequently annotated it, in mauve. See my subsequent post for a hopefully more accurate understanding and explanation.

Thanks to all for offering thoughts.

I played with Thomas's sample document and, to develop his comments a little bit further,

field: Document Sections, Page Number #
means absolute (no, it's relative to the section-originated page numbering sequence) page number within the publication; (no, it's within its section-originated page numbering sequence)
obeys the number-format for the section

field: Document Sections, Last Page <Last Page In Section>
means absolute (no, it's relative to the section) page number (within the publication) (no, it's within the section-originated page numbering sequence) of the page at the end of this section;

field: Document Sections, Run Last Page <Last Page In Run>
means absolute (no, it's relative to the section-originated page numbering sequence) page number (within the publication) (no, it's within the page-numbering sequence) of the last page in the print-run, = document page-count; (no, it's the last page number assigned by the corresponding page-numbering sequence)

field: Document Statistics, Total Pages
means document page-count;
does not obey the number-format for the section and cannot be formatted as Roman numbers, alphabetic, etc.

There is apparently no field for reporting a section's page-count.
(but if a section has its own unique page-numbering sequence, that can be used for this purpose).

Edited by PatrickOfLondon
Updated and annotated, after investigating further, because some of it was originally incorrect, being based on earlier misunderstandings.

11 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

document page-count;
does not obey the number-format for the section and cannot be formatted as Roman numbers, alphabetic, etc. 

Hm? – In every single section the number-format does obey its setting for that section:
If one # of  "# / # / #"  is Roman then all of them are, if one is Arabic or alphabetic then all etc.

> "So there is apparently no field for reporting a section's page-count."
Yes. So what? Why "So"? – Theoretically these Fields could report everything of your document. Every single glyph, its amount alias frequency, its color, its size, ... and even every single of your user actions in your document from its first second (menu "File" > "Save History With Document"). Kind of endless. So far about field's abilities.

Back to your Title: "TOTAL PAGES (page-count) field as, for example, Roman numerals":
That is clear now how to get them in combination as you asked for, isn't it?

Thomas,

Referring back to the thread title, the field I was investigating was the Total Pages field. It remains true, I believe, that there is no way to alter the format for that.

Your contribution and others' contributions have pointed out a way to report the overall page-count by using other, number-format-alterable fields, which is helpful, but unrelated to the Total Pages field, which was the subject of the thread.

In relation to the lack of a field for counting section pages, the "so what?" point is that it can often be useful in a document to report the number of pages within a section. The subject of reporting that was raised by another contributor, and it is relevant to the general concept of using fields to report document page-counts in various different contexts.

A "section page-count" field might therefore be a useful addition to future, iterative releases of Affinity Publisher, but I endorse your suggestion that none of the other things you mention would be.

Thank you, and sorry, I had misunderstood the <Last Page In Run> as the Total Page Count (which I haven't used in my sample above at all).
These two fields can have the same value – but only if the page numbers continue through ALL sections.
As soon a section re-starts with page number 1 then the <Last Page In Run> appears more confusing than usefull, indeed.

430884799_sectionspagina2.jpg.00884f69d0f873313e3e2e426819c4f4.jpg

Of cause I do agree that it would be more useful to report the number of pages within a section – instead the page number of a last page of a section.

Thomas, ich danke ebenfalls, and misunderstandings happen on all sides when we are all trying to understand something (Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404) that's new and still relatively unfamiliar, and also, in some places, not particularly well signposted, by Help or in-studio item-naming.

I've been trying to explore it further, and discover how it works in this area. It seems to me that "Run" means "continuous, non-restarted, page numbering sequence".

I'm hoping that the attached image and sample document might possibly help anyone else who is as confused as I was (and maybe still am) in trying to understand this.

Page number fields in Affinity Publisher.jpg

Page and Section field numbering tests 2019-06-23.afpub

1 hour ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

Some more material that might, hopefully, help someone, somewhere.

The image attached was produced from the spreadsheet also attached, both of which seek to explain.

Page and Section field numbering tests 2019-06-24.afpub

Affinity Publisher Page numbering and Sections.xlsx

Good lord, so what I want to do I can do. Thank you for explaining this. Have a Kudo (fresh baked this morning).