You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ignore Text Wrap for specific text in Affinity Publisher

I'm thoroughly enjoying experimenting with the release build of Publisher.

(Its fascinating how you can switch back and forth between the apps.)

One thing I cant figure out is, in Publisher, if I have set type to wrap around a particular object, is there a way to allow other text (Like a large headline) to ignore that wrap setting?

Im sure it is probably possible but I dont see where to set that up.

transfer test.afpub

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Greetings. I'm starting to master Affinity Publisher 2.4, but I have an issue with text wrap. Working on a 64 page magazine, every time I open the file, I see that the text wraps around cut-out images have disappeared and I have to set them again. I tried locking the images, but to no avail. Each time it's the same and I'm worried the magazine goes to print with a possible text wrap error. Any idea why and how to solve this? Thanks! I attached two screen shots which show how I designed it and how it comes up after saving, closing and opening.

Capture d’écran 2024-03-17 à 08.43.40.png

Capture d’écran 2024-03-17 à 08.43.08.png

Hi @RHD fine art and design and welcome to the forums,

Are your placed images Affinity Photo, JPEG, PNG or TIFF files?

There is a known bug logged under AF-1390 that sounds very similar to the issue you're seeing and which is still awaiting a fix...

If your images do happen to be placed Affinity Photo files then a workaround for the problem is to substitute the .afphoto cutouts for .tiff versions which should rectify the text wrap issue...

I appreciate that's not ideal, especially if you have lots of cutout images in your publication but I'd perhaps take the images on one page, maybe the page shown in your screengrab, export the images as TIFF files, replace the Affinity Photo files with the TIFF versions, Save, Close and Reopen your document to see whether or not the text wrap remains in place...

If your Placed images are not Affinity Photo files are you able to upload your Publisher file or even a sample Page along with any linked image files so we can take a closer look at what might be causing the issue?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

keep the original Affinity Photo files and export these as TIFF files, substitute the Affinity Photo files with the TIFF version

Unless I’m misreading that, I think you meant to say either “replace the Affinity Photo files with the TIFF versions” or “substitute the TIFF files for the Affinity Photo versions”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Unless I’m misreading that, I think you meant to say either “replace the Affinity Photo files with the TIFF versions” or “substitute the TIFF files for the Affinity Photo versions”.

Just badly worded on my part... I meant don't delete the source Affinity Photo files as you may want to come back to them later but I've amended the post so it hopefully, reads a little better now, thanks for highlighting...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

5 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Just badly worded on my part... I meant don't delete the source Affinity Photo files as you may want to come back to them later but I've amended the post so it hopefully, reads a little better now, thanks for highlighting...

You’re still using exactly the same ‘offending’ phrase, which tells me that I didn’t express myself clearly enough. If you have some green olives and you want to use black ones instead, you could replace the green ones with black ones. You can’t substitute the black ones with green ones (because you don’t currently have any black ones, so the substitution would have no effect); you could, however, substitute green ones for the black ones — removing the black ones and using green ones instead.

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You’re still using exactly the same ‘offending’ phrase, which tells me that I didn’t express myself clearly enough.

I'm pretty sure the original meaning was obvious but it's now updated to keep you happy... :)

20 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I'm pretty sure the original meaning was obvious but it's now updated to keep you happy... :)

Sorry about that! It wasn’t my intention to let my pedantry cause you any problems.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Sorry about that! It wasn’t my intention to let my pedantry cause you any problems.

You're completely right, hands up, my use of language was incorrect... I can be equally pedantry at times so I have no problem with anyone pointing out my errors, it caused no problems whatsoever and is now all the better for it. I was being a little tongue in cheek with my comment but in fact, it's very much appreciated, thank you... :)

It is becoming increasingly common for me to hear/read this "substitute with" usage that feels reversed to me. I think language usage is changing in English, perhaps influenced by some idiom from another language. But that's a discussion for a different place, not here :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1