You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Badly designed fonts

5 of the 6 fonts offered with Affinity Publisher are unusable because they do not meet the standard.
The author or the authors of these fonts have forgotten that 95% of the world’s population use accented fonts.

1. Either it removes the accentuation of the letters : É becomes E, À becomes A, Ç becomes C, etc.
  2. Either it replaces with letters in lowercase instead of uppercase letters. É becomes é, etc.
  3. Either it replaces letters by others: Πbecomes OE, etc.

The consequences are important because it can completely change the meaning of words.

"Le chanteur s'est tué enchanté" (The singer was killed delighted) become "Le chanteur s'est tue enchante" (The singer fell silent enchants).

Can these fonts be corrected or replaced by other more professional ones?

affinity-font-01.png

affinity-font-02.png

affinity-font-03.png

affinity-font-04.png

affinity-font-05.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

54 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

5 of the 6 fonts offered with Affinity Publisher are unusable because they do not meet the standard.

The Firebox font includes glyphs for ê, è, é and ë, so it’s OK for French, but since it’s missing glyphs for ėę and ē it’s unsuitable for use in several other languages.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

All in all, it would have been better if Serif didn't include the extremely limited Retro Supply fonts. They are a mockery even in regards to a decent selection as regards demonstrating the good typography that is capable in APub, much less to world-wide users.

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The Firebox font includes glyphs for ê, è, é and ë, so it’s OK for French, but since it’s missing glyphs for ėę and ē it’s unsuitable for use in several other languages.

Several? I could run a report on how many languages it lacks...it would be an extensive list.

Capture_000089.png.0f7696ab7dd990ef800ceae7c5d2256e.png

8 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Several? I could run a report on how many languages it lacks...it would be an extensive list.

Funnily enough, Mike, I originally wrote ‘many’ but instead opted for ‘several’ so as to avoid being accused of exaggerating!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have to sadly agree. There are very bad fonts to use it. For polish language is no option, because of missing letters. I hope in the future company repair his mistakes and use more feature proof font. In my project I use language used by about 60 milion people on the Earth, but on English pages I can find free fonts with complete bunch of letters.

I can not understand why I can get for free Juan Pablo del Peral award winning font (2010) without troubles described above when I support company which I like for price to value, innovative features by purchuase their product and get low quality gift. It is scandal! For some english only speaking audience maybe it is not problem, by Affinity is translating his product for other languages. It is crucial to get support for other languages as base to work with it.