You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Tool: Previews too small

The Previews of the brushes are too small.
When you have a lot of similar brushes, it is actually hard to find the one your are looking for:

image.png.1724412f2525d9c6ee4453d9d0e86ffb.png

In Photoshop you can choose different ways of displaying brushes.
Here the biggest previews are 64x64px(in CS6), but 128px would be my preferred display size.

image.png.2e860f5f535595b6c21c30070f6191cd.png

My suggestion:
I would give option for display style and display size:

Display Style:

• Text only
  • List
  • Thumbnail
  • Thumbnail with (Stroke) Preview

Display Size:

• Small (16x16px)
  • Medium (32x32px)
  • Large (64x64px)
  • Extra Large (128x128px)

I used this technique for some dashboard on a monitoring website.
In your case, you would just need to use a variable for the size factor and multiply the base size(e.g. 16x16px) with it and calculate the height of the preview, while the width would depend on the brush view size.

With this you would handle most needs a brush user could have for displaying the brushes. :-)

image.png

• 2 months later...

I concur. The brush panel thumbnails are way too small. I use brushes quite a bit and I find in Affinity Photo that I generally have to individually click on each one to open it up and then reduce the spacing to see what it is. This wastes a great deal of time, not to mention being irritating. The Affinity brushes panel is not so great and needs some work.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, xresch said:

image.png

Look! Photoshop sorts brushes in A-Z order *sniff* *sniff*

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Is it me or is affinity reply being obnoxious. No reply if they will fix it or acknowledging that it is a problem. Are they expecting us to live with it? Isn't that attitude why so many of us is tired of dealing with photoshop in the first place? 

Screenshot_20200622-183129_Messenger.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So far, this is the only issue keeping me from making the jump from adobe... program looks pretty solid.
But I've spent the last hour looking for how to view my brushes in what I'm assuming affinity calls
"Nozzle" view or "Tip" view... I too have 100's of odd shape brushes I use for distressing my designs.
Not having that view will totally be a deal breaker.
Lack of customer care as shown in user GDC873's post doesn't help this thinking.

• 6 months later...

Ditto to the request above.

I bought an add-on brush pack (with heads, torsos, eyes, etc.) for easy character creation. I saw a demo of the character creation pack using Adobe and ProCreate, but when I used it in Affinity, I found it's VERY difficult to use because we need to be able to see the small thumbnails of the brushes on the left MUCH larger. I REALLY like Affinity, but this is unfortunately a seriously weak point of the product in comparison to the other tools. I wanted to build out lots of solutions using custom brushes as various stamps and then start teaching those with limited drawing skills how to use Affinity Designer with stamps. Affinity Designer/Photo would be perfect for this audience, but I can't recommend it to them for this purpose unless they can view the brush previews larger. 

I saw a support desk response to turn on brush preview to preview it larger when hovering. I turned it on but all I see when hovering is the same of the brush. Not helpful.

People have been asking for this functionality for a couple of years. Do you plan to solve this problem soon? If so, when?

Thank you for all the other great functionality in the product.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...