You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where to set the current language for the spell checker in Photo, Designer and Publisher?

Hi,

I added the Dutch language dictionary from https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries to the dictionaries folder. With help from the thread below about the right location and folder-name (the folder shouldn't be called nl_NL, but nl-NL), I see the Dutch language appearing now in the dropdowns in Publisher's settings (like in the AUto-Correct panel). But I can't find some way in the interface to actually switch the spell-checker-language to this newly installed Dutch language-dictionary.

I would expect this to be somewhere in the preferences or in the Spelling options, or else somewhere in the Text-menu or maybe even the Paragraph panel, but can't find it anywhere. Also searched the help on language and spelling, but no satisfying results there either. I might be missing something here..

Where can we switch the current language of the spell checker in Publisher to another language? (and where in Photo and Designer?)

39 minutes ago, Wosven said:

You can have different languages in a document, and by default the "Base" style should be set to your app/system language. (It's what I've got in French).

Thanks for your reaction. Not sure if I get this right; do you mean we have to set the interface language of Publisher or the Windows interface language to Dutch, just to have default Dutch spell checking inside Publisher? I hope not.

That's not what I want. I always have all interfaces in English and that's for a purpose: next to me liking English better for interfaces (technical stuff, programming languages, tools, comments in code etc.) and do everything in English (so recognise all terms in English), there's way more information about everything in English to be found on internet than Dutch. So I don't want to switch my interfaces to dutch.

But I want to have Dutch, but also other languages (like English and Spanish and maybe German) to spell check.

Or is there a general default language setting somewhere you mean here?

I can't remember if by default the applications are installed in our language or in English (at the beginning, it was English, but usually I keep the official releases in English for screenshots and helping if needed in the forum), and the Bêtas in French.

In APub, you can have the Base paragraph style (and different Base styles, or paragraph styles) in the languages you need for spellchecking (I don't use Paragraph styles in AD or AP, but you can find a Language > Spelling option in the Character panel).

The system/app/styles's language settings are and can be different.

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

In APub, you can have the Base paragraph style (and different Base styles, or paragraph styles) in the langages you need for spellchecking (I don't use Paragraph styles in AD or AP, but you can find a Language > Spelling option in the Character panel).

Ah, now I get it! Thanks!  
So the spelling language could actually be set to the base style once per document so we have the same language throughout the whole document. Except for when we change a style to not inherit that language from the base style, but set to a different language for that style.

And when we have set a style to a textframe, or only to one or more characters, words or lines inside it, even then, we can still override the spelling language in the Character-tab for only a selection of text! So if we have a textframe full of Dutch text we are still able to select a word or a line and put that piece to be spelling-checked in Spanish... 

So if I would like to create some textframes and have them all on Dutch spelling check, I just change the language of the base style to Dutch and make sure at least some style is selected when creating the textframes (like the 'Body'-style) and everything is checked in Dutch.

And if I would like to have a different body styling per textframe I would just copy the Body-style to a new style and even that style still has dutch as a language, because it's still inheriting from the base-style, which is set to Dutch.

Wow! That's actually very powerfull! I like it! :)

Thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...

I can't get hyphenation in dutch to work. Please Affinity, instead of letting us guess what boxes to tick and where to tick them (I've had them all without any result) and other vague stuff (nl_NL, nl-NL, ??? why can't I simply indicate the location without obligatory but illogical directory names; I have 3 dutch files as per forum instructions, but are they still OK and why doesn't Affinity offer the 'without a doubt' working files). I need hyphenation in dutch badly and don't want to go back to Adobe. But I also cannot hyphenate by hand whole magazines (and correct endless errors afterwards with each slight layout change).

This is important. Please propose a unambiguous howto including the support (files download).

3 hours ago, adbosch said:

I can't get hyphenation in dutch to work. Please Affinity, instead of letting us guess what boxes to tick and where to tick them (I've had them all without any result) and other vague stuff (nl_NL, nl-NL, ??? why can't I simply indicate the location without obligatory but illogical directory names; I have 3 dutch files as per forum instructions, but are they still OK and why doesn't Affinity offer the 'without a doubt' working files). I need hyphenation in dutch badly and don't want to go back to Adobe. But I also cannot hyphenate by hand whole magazines (and correct endless errors afterwards with each slight layout change).

This is important. Please propose a unambiguous howto including the support (files download).

You should probably post that as a Feature Request in the appropriate part of the Feedback forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, wigglepixel said:

OMG found it; it's in the character-panel... that was the last place where I would expect a language setting, but maybe that will make sense to me later? At least I found it and it works! :)

This saved me from going insane, a simple thing but so helpful, thank you.