You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A very plain wish: When the focus is on the "Pages" panes ... it would feel natural to me to scroll through the pages with the cursor keys ... but by the looks of it there is absolutely no way to use keys to proceed to the next or previous page. Even enabling the "End" and "Pos1" key would be nice. Maybe this functionality could even be active if the the main window is active, you have the "Move" tool selected and there is no frame selected ?!

Aside that I find it very hard to recognize what is the currently active page. This thin frame marking it is hardly visible - even harder, when the content of various pages is layoutwise pretty similar. So it always takes this extra-extra effort to find out on what page you are on in the page panel.

Cheers,
Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

7 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

A very plain wish: When the focus is on the "Pages" panes ... it would feel natural to me to scroll through the pages with the cursor keys ... but by the looks of it there is absolutely no way to use keys to proceed to the next or previous page.

Hi @DarkClown,

try CTRL+Page Up and Page Down. This steps from page to page.

I am a little unsure which page is considered active during this prosess.
I was not able to find something to jump to first and last page.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thx dominik.
Not very intuitive ... and a bit of nasty seeing that the cursor key are far more obvious and have no use in this situation. Maybe it's proposal for an improved workflow?

Cheers, Timo

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

12 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Thx dominik.
Not very intuitive ... and a bit of nasty seeing that the cursor key are far more obvious and have no use in this situation. Maybe it's proposal for an improved workflow?

Cheers, Timo

It's never wrong to propose something :)

There are so many things that can (and most likely will) be improved to make the workflow smoother. We are still at the beginning of a long road.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

3 minutes ago, dominik said:

It's never wrong to propose something :)

There are so many things that can (and most likely will) be improved to make the workflow smoother. We are still at the beginning of a long road. 

d.

It's never wrong - but rarely successful ;-)
I've been following this "path of development" in AP and AD for more than 2 years now ... and with regards to efficient workflow it's a very stony and slow path ;-)

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2019 at 1:16 PM, DarkClown said:

A very plain wish: When the focus is on the "Pages" panes ... it would feel natural to me to scroll through the pages with the cursor keys ... but by the looks of it there is absolutely no way to use keys to proceed to the next or previous page. Even enabling the "End" and "Pos1" key would be nice. Maybe this functionality could even be active if the the main window is active, you have the "Move" tool selected and there is no frame selected ?!

Aside that I find it very hard to recognize what is the currently active page. This thin frame marking it is hardly visible - even harder, when the content of various pages is layoutwise pretty similar. So it always takes this extra-extra effort to find out on what page you are on in the page panel.

Cheers,
Timo

Indeed the grey border is hard to notice and recognize. And yes when the pages panel active it is insanely annoying that up and down keys have no effect whatsoever.

Anyway, I configured these easy-to-remember keyboard shortcuts for myself (and added alt + m for the resource manager btw):

image.png.245d0c932f8e0a8d7046f4b8715c10fa.png

Serif, you have to add a "Search shortcut" feature here!!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...

Scrolling page by page with keyboard shortcuts is helpful, and I use these shotcuts, too, but is there also a way to scroll page by page with the mouse wheel?

Currently, when I use the mouse wheel to scroll through the document, the document is scrolled just a little bit at a time. Unfortunately, that is not very useful when I want to scroll fast though a large document like a book.

15 hours ago, WhiteOwl said:

but is there also a way to scroll page by page with the mouse wheel?

Hello @WhiteOwl welcome the forum.

I am not aware that there is a way to scroll with the mouse wheel page by page. It would be very usefull if there were a modifier key to do so.

d.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:50 PM, WhiteOwl said:

Currently, when I use the mouse wheel to scroll through the document, the document is scrolled just a little bit at a time.

If you are talking about scrolling up and down in the main document area using the mouse wheel, then I do agree that it is much too slow.

Here is a brief comparison where I have this thread open in a browser alongside a Publisher document. The low frame rate makes it a little hard to follow, but here is what I was doing: I scrolled down on this thread quickly with one stroke of the wheel, then slowly scrolled back up so you can see how much travel was in a single stroke. Then I tried the same single stroke in Publisher document open beside it.

The browser covered about 2.5 times the height of the viewport in a single scroll, while the visible document area in Publisher scrolls by roughly 0.5 of its visible height. This is not precise, but anyone can set up a similar test to feel how Publisher compares side by side, using the same mouse, with other programs.

Note that Publisher does respond to macOS preferences scroll speed, so you could increase it, but you would also be proportionally increasing all the other apps which respect it as well, so I choose not increase it because it makes the other apps far too fast.

I think all 3rd-party apps should aim to match the scroll speed of 1st-party apps at a given system scroll speed preference, so that no matter what the user chose, it would be consistent across the whole OS.