You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Style sheet initial word problem

I am running Publisher 1.7 on Windows and have been trying to set up style sheets for a magazine. I have successfully created a body type style (9pt Roman, 3mm indent on first line, text justified) and a first paragraph style (Firstpar) with no indent on the first line. I have also set up a character style (Capword) which capitalises words in the body text. But when I added it to Firstpar to cap up the first word, the first word appears at three times its normal size, although Publisher claims the word is only 9pt. I can switch off Initial Word to format a first paragraph then cap up the first word using Capword separately but this is tedious. The magazine has a lot of listings and I need styles that will enable me to cap up and change the fonts of first words where necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm having the same problem.

Attached ... 

What I want (desired.jpg)

What I get (actual.jpg)

How initial words style is set up (style-intial words setting.jpg)

The actual Affinity Publisher file is attached so you can see for yourself. This file was an import from an IDML export out of InDesign.

The Body text - Small caps semibold is setup to use the Semibold Display font style within the Kepler font we're using, and Small caps is selected under Capitals.

style-initial words setting.jpg

actual.jpg

desired.jpg

RE-Staging-deck-master-bad.afpub

Edited by JoeSr

Uncheck the "18 pt" in the character style (set it to "no modification"), and it'll keep the same size as the paragraph style. Here, it's set to 18 pts, when the paragraph style is only 14 pt.

You name it, I've tried it. Settings on, settings off -- no difference. They all fail. And besides, I WANT the initial text to be a few points larger ... it should work CORRECTLY, not jumbo-size the font which is clearly a BUG.

By the way, if I build the doc from scratch, the initial text settings work great. So it's clearly a bug in the IDML import. IDML file attached.

RE-Staging-deck-master.idml

23 minutes ago, JoeSr said:

You name it, I've tried it. Settings on, settings off -- no difference.

What version of Publisher are you opening this with?

I opened your .indd document with Publisher 1.8.4.651 beta without any issues, (a few test frames needed to be expanded)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Publisher version 1.8.3.641 ...

I may have resized some text frames a bit, but that's kind of brittle if a text box resize causes this behavior.

Like I said, if I start fresh with a new doc, works great. This IDML is an export out of the latest CC version of Indesign, 15.0.3.

Edited by JoeSr

One other thing, I have noted if I play around with some settings, this behavior eventually goes away and it works as it should.

Then just to check, I will build a new text box, copy the text out into a plain ascii text editor, then paste the unformatted text back into the new text frame. Then I will apply the style with the initial text setting and bingo ... massive ugly text again.

I'm testing to see if it's really fixed or if I try to paste up a new piece if it's going to misbehave again, and it does -- it goes all ugly again when I start fresh INSIDE the doc imported as IDML. But if I make a brand new doc from scratch, the initial text formatting works wonderful, just as expected.

Edited by JoeSr

Found a new annoyance with initial text ... once you set it, you can't apply local overrides to it. The initial text is locked and you are stuck if you want to do any local overrides for special cases. Either like that initial text or lump it.

So there are a few bugs yet with initial text.

Never mind ... operator error.

Edited by JoeSr
Correction

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Initial Words - Size incorrect with resized text frames) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.  

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon