You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

putting photos in asset manager

I may have missed it, but is there a way of putting multiple JPEG  photos into the asset manager as you could with PagePlus X9 (I started with X3 many years ago). I may a photo folder in the asset manager, but when I tried to import a JPEG it only looked for files with a "afassets" file.   Having multiple photos in the X9 asset manager was saved so much time when producing a magazine. 

thanks

So I created a new sub category in my assets and made sure it was open.

Then under file went to "open folder in explorer"

Selected a folder with images and dragged it into the empty sub-category space

and boom the pictures showed up.

I learn so much trying to figure out other people's stuff.

Update:

Kept playing and you don't have to create a new subcategory, as long as you drag the folder below the last sub-category section, it will create the sub-category for you, naming it the name of the folder you are dragging in there.

thanks for the reply.

I was able to drag the JPEGS to the asset folder, but was unable to place the photos in already drawn photo frames on the page. I was able to place one photo on an empty page, but not anymore. I use several photos on a page and in X9 was able to place photos (from the asset manager to already drawn photo frames on the page, one after another. It is an efficient way of doing so.

I have not found a way to place a photo from assets directly into a frame (from stock is not a problem), but if you drag the photo onto the page, you can right click the photo and convert to picture frame, this gives you all the frame tools and you can then place it where you want it. I have had no problem placing multiple images on a single page, but am dragging them across individually, not sure if there is a way of selecting multiple images in assets.

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...

I've been trying to do this, but as soon as Finder overlays the Affinity Photo window the Asset box vanishes! Importing doesn't' let me select the jpegs as I think it only allows afasset files to be selected - ? All I want is to create an Asset subcategory of Overlays and start building up a collection of texture and colour jpegs. I'm missing something obvious....

11 hours ago, mrpleasant said:

I've been trying to do this, but as soon as Finder overlays the Affinity Photo window the Asset box vanishes!

Dock the Asset panel & that won't happen.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Alas, it does! As soon as Affinity Photo isn't the active window, the Assets window(?) vanishes! It's toying with me. If I click the menu and choose import asset my jpeg files are greyed out and not selectable. When I see how advanced the Asset Manager is, with the option to store thousands of objects in a totally configurable collection of categories and subcategories it seems unbelievable I can't add a single item. I keep thinking I'm missing something that must be staring me in the face.

Hi I have managed to put a JPEG file into my assets folder using this method, not sure if it is of any help to anyone.

I open the JPEG in affinity photo. click on the photo with the move arrow (which should give you the blue box with 8 crosses) then go to the assets folder. Create a  sub folder, then with that folder open click that files menu option which drops down 5 options;  rename, delete, move up, move down and add from selection. 

If you click on add from selection your photo should now appear in the assets folder.  If you can't see it click on the arrow on the left of your new sub folder.

6 hours ago, mrpleasant said:

Alas, it does! As soon as Affinity Photo isn't the active window, the Assets window(?) vanishes!

If by 'window' you mean the Assets panel has its own window not attached to either side of the main workspace window (so it is in neither the Left or Right Studio), this is to be expected. You will see the same thing if you are working in the Window menu "Separated mode" except that everything besides the workspace window(s) will disappear. (A workspace window is one that contains a document.)

To avoid this (in non-separated window mode only), dock the Assets panel by dragging it into the Right or Left Studio, or if the Left Studio is currently empty dragging the panel to the left edge of the workspace window until a blue bar appears.

7 hours ago, mrpleasant said:

If I click the menu and choose import asset my jpeg files are greyed out and not selectable.

The menu item says "Import Assets ..." The plural form is the only clue you get in the UI that this feature will accept only .afassets files, like those created using the "Export Assets..." item in the same menu. See the Assets Panel help topic for more about this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If I use the menu option View/Studio/Assets to display the Assets panel, it appears on the right-hand side under the layers panel, etc. It appears to be docked, but I'm not sure... As soon as I click on my Finder window to begin selecting my jpegs to drag into the Assets panel, the Assets panel vanishes, then reappears when AP becomes the active window again. If I quit AP and reopen it, the Assets panel is still there, suggesting I have made it a fixed part of my workspace. Out of interest, when I do eventually get this working, will the jpegs I select also get moved from their current location (Downloads) and put in an Affinity Photo folder somewhere?

1 hour ago, mrpleasant said:

It appears to be docked, but I'm not sure...

To be sure, temporarily uncheck View > Studio > Show Right Studio. If the Assets panel vanishes, it is docked. 

Out of interest, when I do eventually get this working, will the jpegs I select also get moved from their current location (Downloads) and put in an Affinity Photo folder somewhere?

No. Anything added to the Assets panel is a copy.

Also note that in the Mac Affinity apps while you can drag jpegs (& several other file types) into an open Assets subcategory, that is the only place in the Assets panel that you can do that. You can also drag *.afassets into the panel. but they will be added with their original category/subcategory grouping.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, mrpleasant said:

Out of interest, when I do eventually get this working, will the jpegs I select also get moved from their current location (Downloads) and put in an Affinity Photo folder somewhere?

No, a copy of each jpeg file will be added into a single Affinity file, which will grow large.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, a copy of each jpeg file will be added into a single Affinity file, which will grow large.

That suits me! My fear was I would add them to the Assets panel and then delete them from Downloads, only to find they vanished out of AP.

But I'm jumping the gun. I need to actually add them as Assets first...

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

To be sure, temporarily uncheck View > Studio > Show Right Studio. If the Assets panel vanishes, it is docked. 

No. Anything added to the Assets panel is a copy.

Also note that in the Mac Affinity apps while you can drag jpegs (& several other file types) into an open Assets subcategory, that is the only place in the Assets panel that you can do that. You can also drag *.afassets into the panel. but they will be added with their original category/subcategory grouping.

I stand corrected. I just reopened AP after closing it several hours ago and there is no sign of the Assets panel. It seems ticking the item in the Studio menu list is not a permanent thing until it is unticked. I have to admit I don't know my way around the workspace particularly well, having only learned some basic skills that suit my current requirements, but intuitively I would expect something selected to view to remain a part of the visible toolset until manually deselected. Need to do more research.

It seems ticking the item in the Studio menu list is not a permanent thing until it is unticked.

It should be. It is one of many "sticky" settings in the Affinity apps. If the Assets or any other Studio panel does not behave this way, something is wrong with your copy of the app or elsewhere in your system.

Affinity Photo 

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

It should be. It is one of many "sticky" settings in the Affinity apps. If the Assets or any other Studio panel does not behave this way, something is wrong with your copy of the app or elsewhere in your system.

Hi I have managed to put a JPEG file into my assets folder using this method, not sure if it is of any help to anyone.

I open the JPEG in affinity photo. click on the photo with the move arrow (which should give you the blue box with 8 crosses) then go to the assets folder. Create a  sub folder, then with that folder open click that files menu option which drops down 5 options;  rename, delete, move up, move down and add from selection. 

If you click on add from selection your photo should now appear in the assets folder.  If you can't see it click on the arrow on the left of your new sub folder.  The JPEGs that I have loaded into my Assets folder this way are still in there when the program is closed and then rebooted.

I also have my assets panel well and truly attached to where it should be and have had no issues such as it disappearing....... 

Might be worth reinstalling/updating the program or resetting the defaults to see if that fixes any issues.

Success! I followed Lynnie's steps above and initially there was no Add from selection option in my menu. I decided to delete the subcategory 'Overlays' that I had created on a previous attempt and suddenly the option appeared and my jpeg was added. I seem to have a category of Default with a subcategory of Assets which is a bit curious (until I understand it better), but at least it worked. Also, now I have an actual asset in Assets, the window appears on the panel when I reopen Affinity Photo. So, thanks to all for your suggestions. Problem finally solved.