You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that if my design contains spot coloured pixels, vector brushes or masks, the exported pdf will convert those elements to CMYK.

If there are vector shapes, lines and text (without added complexity using pixels) then the spot colour is not converted to CMYK.

Is this a limitation in the software? Or am I missing a step?

I have attached a basic example here.

Thanks and advance for all your help!

Kindly,

Ben

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 10.51.22 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 10.51.46 am.png

Please, if anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it!

What I ultimately want to know is: How does affinity software handle Pantone colour made from pixels?

ie: Adobe Photoshop uses Channels and Adobe illustrator can assign Pantone colours to brush strokes etc. But I cannot replicate this using Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo.

It appears to me that the content I create in Pixel mode (or on pixel layers) AND vector brushstrokes and masks (on vector layers) is always converted to CMYK on export???

Any help? Please!

Kindly,

Ben

I can't find a solution - I figured a better way to do it was to create a rectangle, also in the spot pms colour and then paint a mask over that in pixel persona. Turn the mask off and all exports with spot colour intact in Acrobat - turn the mask on and re-export and AGAIN, it's converted it to CMYK!!!

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• 1 year later...

I think I found a fix for this, which got mentioned in a different thread:

- Publisher considers spot inks as "unsupported features" when you export PDF. This converts all you vector works (external documents placed) with spot inks to images, even with PDFX 3 preset. Disabling "convert to image unsupported features" allows to export your linked vector files with spot inks.

I don't know if it works in the mentioned case above, but I had the issue of exporting a custom brush stroke with a spot color which always got converted to CMYK. The solution was like mentioned in the thread to set the Rasterize Option to "Nothing" during export:

144362724_Screenshot2021-03-04121843.png.2184ac321f3045c6411e75de6a4bd542.png

• 3 months later...

Hi Vibe Design,

Thank you for the tip. Much appreciated. I know (with workarounds in some instances) that you can pass vector information into pantone colours.

What I'm waiting for is support for pantone colours with rasterised content. I'm sure it's on the way and am looking forward to seeing how Serif implements into the software.

Kindly,

Ben

1 hour ago, ben_jam_toast said:

What I'm waiting for is support for pantone colours with rasterised content.

This has been available for a while and is easier than ever with 1.9+ (although still needs simplifying) with a bit of effort you can even create duotone & tri-tone like effects that separate properly

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Whoa! Problem solved. And yes I agree it could be simplified. But now that I understand the process I am loving it.

Huge thanks to Lagarto, Dazmondo77 and thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Converting a pixel layer to an image resource is something I would never have arrived at on my own. Thanks again!