You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing docx or rtf doesn't retain styles?

When I tried the beta, I was immediately sold. I was up and running from an RTF template in moment, all my styles importing.

Now when I import, they styles don't come in. When I tried to do it in different ways, Publisher crashed on me.

I'm going to give it one more try on the new 16 page project I'm doing, then going back to Adobe until I figure this out. Did something change in how things import or come in? 

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread -- is there a way to import a .docx file without it overwriting all the styles setup in Publisher? I'm using LibreOffice and not MS Word to create .docx files.... copy/pasting doesn't make styles work from LibreOffice (it seems to "flatten" all styles like RTF). It feels silly to have to rely on owning, using, and opening Word to update the text in a layout. Surely there's a way to make it work when importing a file? Is there another format that works better? Thanks

I made a test right now importing a docx generated in LibreOffice. In my case the import is not overwriting existing styles, it adds them with a number if there is already a style with the same name.

Unfortunately you can't replace a style with another, but you can workaround. Edit the doubled style with the number, say it is based on the style without the number. Leave the dialogue and delete the style with the number. In general I would like to see in Affinity replacing colours / styles with other colours / styles instead of only plain deleting.

Hope this was helpful and understandable.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 12/3/2019 at 11:36 PM, Joachim_L said:

Hope this was helpful and understandable.

Thanks. Yes it was understandable. But it didn't work for me. It seems that for some styles, Publisher indeed creates a numbered duplicate (in which case your work around works), but for some other styles like "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc... it will actually overwrite that style, in which case the Publisher style is lost as far as I can tell.

I don't own Microsoft Word so I can't totally test if this is a problem with LibreOffice's .docx export, but I was able to reproduce this problem by using Microsoft's Word online app and downloading the .docx from there (I assume this would be the same .docx file as if I had used the desktop Word app).

7 hours ago, ludovicchabant said:

Thanks. Yes it was understandable. But it didn't work for me. It seems that for some styles, Publisher indeed creates a numbered duplicate (in which case your work around works), but for some other styles like "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc... it will actually overwrite that style, in which case the Publisher style is lost as far as I can tell.

I don't own Microsoft Word so I can't totally test if this is a problem with LibreOffice's .docx export, but I was able to reproduce this problem by using Microsoft's Word online app and downloading the .docx from there (I assume this would be the same .docx file as if I had used the desktop Word app).

If you're losing styles, then rather than bumping an old topic in the Questions area I would suggest you post a new topic in the bug report forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1