You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Rob Chisholm :)

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, could you please confirm the following-

1. What camera does your RAW file originate from?
  2. How are you trying to open the file? (ie open from Cloud, Import from Cloud)
  3. If you access the RAW in Files and save it to your camera roll, then open the image from here does it open correctly?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello Dan,

1. What camera does your RAW file originate from? (No longer have the camera, it was a fuji )
  2. How are you trying to open the file? (ie open from Cloud, Import from Cloud) Their on a cycloid wifi drive or can be sent to iPad, why do you ask ?
  3. If you access the RAW in Files and save it to your camera roll, then open the image from here does it open correctly? I can try to work out how to send them to the IOS files and open in camera roll (please no cloud suggestions, were are on slow band) 

Dan how would you take the image from the WD cloud and place in Files on IOS side ?

Here are two screen grabs one from laptop of the RAW file, other opened from the WD my cloud on the lap top, both files are from the same camera, note Photoshop, not affinity.

And this is desktop / laptop OS 

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 16.56.36.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 16.14.00.png

So file browser allows preview of the image that’s cool, everything else fails, the square box shows nothing that’s the raw file of the sheep now in iOS world a doomed gloop of soup problem seems and issues.

stop news iOS is OS 13 and now a grown up computer really - I report back later this year :)

rob 

8DCDBAEE-A26F-47BD-B2FB-A5C96BE5255C.jpeg

I had the same issue with my new iPad and my x-h1. Restart your iPad (shut it down and turn it back on). Then try again. Worked for me. I found this solution in another similar thread in the forum. The mod was puzzled as to why it worked, but it worked. Who knows what the iOS is doing to adapt to the user in the background. 

Kirk

@Rob Chisholm  Bummer. Obviously it would be nice to have AP work properly on the iPad, but in the interim you might want to try using Raw Power as a raw converter for iPad. It is made by the former lead of the Apple Aperture application and has a similar control UI.

kirk

Bummer no go, think they call themselves gentleman something, anyways bottom line you cannot use raw with external drives oh no Os 13 your be the killer of raw, I feel the power dwindling somewhat 

here is a screen grab of raw image on an external drive, I think I mentioned all that works in photoshop, you can use astropad to mirror to iOS side.

great idea kirt, just let down by external IOS something so says raw power.

raw power good with colour editing at pre raw, something I cannot do in App Affinity- unless I like blk and white.

rob

64797C04-41C8-4963-B7DD-725E816D7914.jpeg

Hello Paul, 

I had an email from Paul.

However I cannot see this in the post here?

Good idea Paul - I have done this up load from the Desktop as I doubt IOS could handle this image , probably convert to a jpg to annoy everyone.

So go for it gang.

Rules are 

0: You are not permitted to use the image for any commercial use or personal use, as per site rules of AP

1: You must operate with AP IOS app only to open the Raf file no other intervention is allowed.

2: Prizes AP will give you a a free update with a T shirt 

Looking forwards to you results please post when ready.

Regards Rob 

"Hi Rob, looking through all of your posts, but don’t think you have uploaded your raw file examples here as it then might be possible for someone to figure out why they can’t be opened. Best regards Paul."

DSCF2600.RAF

On 6/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, Rob Chisholm said:

Hello Paul, 

I had an email from Paul.

However I cannot see this in the post here?

Good idea Paul - I have done this up load from the Desktop as I doubt IOS could handle this image , probably convert to a jpg to annoy everyone.

So go for it gang.

Rules are 

0: You are not permitted to use the image for any commercial use or personal use, as per site rules of AP

1: You must operate with AP IOS app only to open the Raf file no other intervention is allowed.

2: Prizes AP will give you a a free update with a T shirt 

Looking forwards to you results please post when ready.

Regards Rob 

"Hi Rob, looking through all of your posts, but don’t think you have uploaded your raw file examples here as it then might be possible for someone to figure out why they can’t be opened. Best regards Paul."

DSCF2600.RAF

I guess this quite old Fujifilm Finepix S5000 raw file format is incompatible with Affinity, it certainly does not appear on the Apple compatibility list. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208967

I was only able to load by going via LR on iPad and exporting it as a jpg to pull into AP. 

78013F0A-11D0-4EC8-B4CC-0FE4FF449248.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 6/24/2019 at 10:10 AM, Dan C said:
  1. What camera does your RAW file originate from?
  2. How are you trying to open the file? (ie open from Cloud, Import from Cloud)
  3. If you access the RAW in Files and save it to your camera roll, then open the image from here does it open correctly?

In the interest of helping out:

1. This file seems to originate from a Fujifilm Finepix S5000. This is a 3 megapixel camera introduced in July 2003.

3. I placed the RAW file in my Dropbox as well as locally on my iPad. In neither case would Affinity Photo for iPad open this file. I even tried converting it first to DNG (via Adobe DNG Converter) and then opening it, but it Affinity Photo for iPad would not recognize either the .RAF or the .DNG.

Interestingly, Affinity Photo (for Mac) opens the .RAF and the .DNG without any problem. 

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Interestingly, Affinity Photo (for Mac) opens the .RAF and the .DNG without any problem. 

The desktop versions of AP are not restricted to the use of Apple’s RAW engine. Check your settings and you will probably find you are using Affinity's raw engine instead of Apple’s.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

5 hours ago, DM1 said:

The desktop versions of AP are not restricted to the use of Apple’s RAW engine. Check your settings and you will probably find you are using Affinity's raw engine instead of Apple’s.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense.

But where is that setting? I checked my Preferences (TWICE!) but must be missing something.

And what is the difference with the raw engine used by the iPad version? Is it based upon some Apple-supplied raw engine for mobile devices?

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

But where is that setting? I checked my Preferences (TWICE!) but must be missing something.

You need to be in Develop Persona then you can access the Develop Assistant where you get to choose a RAW engine for RAW processing.

10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

what is the difference with the raw engine used by the iPad version? Is it based upon some Apple-supplied raw engine for mobile devices?

iPad version of AP only gets to use the Apple supplied RAW decoder, not Affinity's own version. I don't know if this is a hardware restriction or just a decision by Affinity. Apple do update their raw engine regularly. I guess people who complain to affinity about the iPad  not being able to open a raw file would be better contacting Apple and asking them for a fix. There is really nothing Affinity can do about it.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

The Fujifilm Finepix S5000 is a pretty old camera.  There is a raw converter for MacOS and iOS called Photo Raw - here is the camera support webpage:

https://mcguffogco.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/8000063657-supported-cameras

the list of supported cameras includes the S5000; however, I cannot open your file with Photo Raw.  Perhaps the file itself has an issue that is causing applications that would otherwise support it to fail to recognize the file format or open the image.  Do you have other raw files shot with this camera available to test, or, even better, do you still have the camera and can you update it to the latest firmware and shoot some test images to try?

kirk

Ok - the camera uses the Fujifilm SuperCCD, which has its quirks.  I was able to use a Mac desktop application called LumaRiver HDR (meant to blend raw exposures into a single HDR DNG, TIFF or EXR).  This application must use a more robust technical implementation of the DNG API, because I was able to open your raw file in it and then export a DNG from it that I was able to open in AP on my iPad.  Here is a link to the DNG:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfdzu8z3fi9ty1r/testDNG.dng?dl=0

and attached is a screenshot of the DNG opened in the Develop persona in AP on the iPad (Import from Cloud, loading the file from my Dropbox).

The image is rotated 45 degrees because of the orientation of the photo sites on the sensor of the SuperCCD.

kirk

3787C691-7558-4A91-9812-A1CE164CA187.jpeg

I was able to convert the raw file in AdobeDNG Converter using some custom settings: (Change Preferences > Custom (Compatibility) > Backward Version DNG 1.1, Linear (demosaiced).

Play around with the custom compatibility settings to see what works best for your workflow.  In this example the raw data were demosaiced, so the file has been rotated appropriately.

Attached is a screenshot of your raw file, converted to DNG, opened in the Develop persona.  Here is a Dropbox link to the converted DNG:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rfzunzpx8jxk6i/DSCF2600.dng?dl=0

kirk

5671B41F-C503-4BD6-AD88-F0BE39271631.jpeg

Thank you everyone, no need to go to so much efforts on my behalf, but thank you.

reading through your comments, it is clear IOS has limitations on basic areas such as no ability to say down load 

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5368-adobe-dng-converter.html

open raw files on dated cameras. (unless theirs an app ?)

for IOS side, at the moment only app is file browser app see’s and opens in photo express these photo’s.

if anyone reading and in the same situation the best solution I have found is run astropad app along side your desk top and open the raw image in desktop photoshop- benefits will be of course adjustments in raw before opening the file.

all this can be done using your tablet as a viewing portal.

rob 

You will have to use Adobe DNG converter on a PC or Mac desktop - there is no iPad version.  However, you can batch convert RAFs from your older S5000 and then make them available to your iPad through a number of different transfer/storage paths, including iCloud, Dropbox, a WiFi accessible drive, Airdrop, etc.  Once you convert your files to the appropriate form of DNG and upload them to your preferred storage/iPad accessible location, you are good to go.  Easy peasy.

Astropad is simply an application that permits you to use your iPad as a second display, a feature that the upcoming MacOS will have built into it.  It does not permit you to transfer files to the iPad, etc.

kirk