You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo- Clipping warning(s) in Develop .cr2 intak?

Good afternoon,

I'm looking for a setting which will enable histogram clipping warning(s) in whites and blacks when I begin the .cr2 raw edit process.

My basic standard latitude image process in Bridge  is:

Exposure
Blacks to clip then back
White balance
Whites to clip then back
Shadows
Highlights
Blacks again to minor clip, then back.

The clip indicator is important to me.

How do I enable it?

Thank you in advance,

Ben

• Staff

Hi BenAZPhoto,

Welcome to the forums :)

When loading your image into Affinity Photo there are 3 options in the top left of the toolbar, these will turn on/off Highlight, Shadow & Tone cliping.

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

When loading your image into Affinity Photo there are 3 options in the top left of the toolbar, these will turn on/off Highlight, Shadow & Tone cliping.

image.png

I hope this helps!

Uh, right. [couldn't resist it emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Uh, right. [couldn't resist it emoticon]

Oh No Facepalm GIF

Thanks for letting me know Bruce, It's been a long day!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 10 months later...

I cannot get the clipping warnings to display at all.  I'm in the develop persona and I can select either or both switches on for highlights and/or shadows then slide the exposure all the way up or all the way down and I never see any red highlight clipping indication or blue shadow clipping indication.

The Show Clipped Tones button works but the highlight and shadows do not.

Is there something I'm missing??

Note the histogram in the attached screen grabs, there should be clipping warnings.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 16.37.24 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 16.37.00 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 16.40.40 pm.png

Further to the above after saving the image above then reloading it I can now successfully see the red highlight clipping warnings but still not the blue shadow warnings.

Have rebooted the Mac and started everything from scratch again but still no shadow clipping warnings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Phree_ed,

Welcome to the forums and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response.

Could you please upload your sample CR2 file to the following link for me, so I can check this here?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/OaAOsFNvCP30zJrPMwY0

Do you know which RAW engine you're using? By default this should be Serif LABs, however you can check through View>Assistant Manager, then select Develop Assistant in the bottom corner of this dialog. Your RAW engine should be shown here.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks for the reply Dan.

I wasn't too concerned about awaiting a reply because a couple of days later the clipping warnings started working. I have no idea why except to say the computers can be diabolical contraptions when they want to be 😁

Also I'm using Apple raw Because it seemed to give me better less noisy results but I probably should switch back to Serif LABs and give it another try.

Cheers,  Phree_ed

• Staff

That's certainly very strange! I'm glad to hear this issue has since been resolved and please do let me know if you have any further trouble :)

There should be no issue with using the Apple Core RAW engine for this, so feel free to leave this setting as-is if you prefer the Apple output!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

Can I reopen this thread as I have encountered the same problem? In my case none of the clipping warnings display. I managed to get the shadow warnings to display once using the curves adjustment but haven't been able to recreate that success. The blown highlights occasionally display as transparent areas (with the grey chequerboard scheme showing through. I'm using a Mac mini (old) and High Sierra ... could that be the problem? Restarting the Mac doesn't work. Reloading the image doesn't work. Opening new images down't work - neither my own or RAW files posted by various internet tutors.

Curiously, on my similar vintage iMac with the same MacOS, I get the highlight and tones warnings but not the shadows.

I'm at a loss.

Cheers

Albert

Could you please check if disabling  hardware acceleration (Metal) in Preferences>>Performance mitigates the issue?

Duplicate - you have reported this already in a more specific bug thread.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.