Pattou

The spell checker underlines all apostrophe-containing French words

-

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

If your problem is with spelling, not hyphenation, then the hyphenation language should not be relevant. What should matter is the spelling language, and that is specified in the Character Panel. It is quite possible that you have managed to have some of those words specified as being in French and some of them specified as being in some other (or no) language.

You could use the Find function in Publisher to look for words that have their spelling language set to None, or to some specified language such as French. That might help you find the text that is misspecified, if that is actually your problem. For example, if you did a Find for text in French, you could see which text was not French.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If your problem is with spelling, not hyphenation, then the hyphenation language should not be relevant. What should matter is the spelling language, and that is specified in the Character Panel. It is quite possible that you have managed to have some of those words specified as being in French and some of them specified as being in some other (or no) language.

You could use the Find function in Publisher to look for words that have their spelling language set to None, or to some specified language such as French. That might help you find the text that is misspecified, if that is actually your problem. For example, if you did a Find for text in French, you could see which text was not French.

Thanks Walt :)
Yes, right, I was tired yesterday evening : I wanted to write "French language". I thought I did select French but it was the problem. For some text frames, it was written "unknown" in the character panel.

[edit/ I might know what I did wrong : I've changed the language while I was using the Frame text tool and not the Move tool but did not test yet.]

But I have another problem : all the words with an apostrophe are underlined.

Cheers,

Patrick

correction.JPG

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

I've edited the title to highlight my new trouble...

Thanks in advance if you know how to avoid this :)

There's a bug in the spell checking, which has been reported but perhaps not yet acknowledged by Serif. For French it only works if you type using the straight apostrophe character, not the curved apostrophe (or right quotation mark).

I can't find the topic right now; sorry.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There's a bug in the spell checking, which has been reported but perhaps not yet acknowledged by Serif. For French it only works if you type using the straight apostrophe character, not the curved apostrophe (or right quotation mark).

I can't find the topic right now; sorry.

Thank you again Walt.