You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Offer to reassign styles on delete

When deleting a character or paragraph style that is in use, it would be nice if Publisher would offer the options to

• reassign the text where it is used to a different style
  • detach and preserve formatting, or
  • clear formatting (according to what currently happens).

As Publisher currently duplicates any styles when important or pasting from another program, this feature would be a big help to save time in reassigning and cleaning up the styles. Currently, find/replace by format seems to be the only solution, but it is a more time-consuming process.

won't work with Placing  but pasteing can be pasted formatting free, use Edit > Paste Without Format.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In my case, I want to import text that has formatting and even styles already applied. For example, I might be copying styled text from InDesign into Publisher. I want to keep the formatting generally, but I want to swap out the InDesign styles for styles that I have created specially for Publisher. What I would like best in that scenario was that styles with the same name would get matched rather than a new copy made. For example, if I had text tagged as "Body Text" in InDesign, and a style already created in my Publisher document with the same name, I would like to be able to paste the text without getting a new "Body Text 1" from the original InDesign style, but rather the pasted text would take on the existing (Publisher) "Body Text."

That is really a separate suggestion, but I have made the suggestion that I did in my original post because I think it would have benefits for a wider range of uses. In the case above, I would just have to delete "Body Text 1" (from InDesign) and allow it to replace with my new "Body Text."

The short of it is that I want to be able to replace styles more easily.

Find and Replace can find and replace Styles. Sadly we can not find unused Styles for deleting.

Edit: Please see Walt's response.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Sadly we can not find unused Styles for deleting.

Are you saying that Delete Unused Styles on the Text Styles panel's hamburger menu does not work? Or that it does not do what you want?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you saying that Delete Unused Styles on the Text Styles panel's hamburger menu does not work? Or that it does not do what you want?

No, I am saying I never noticed that. Has that always been there? Have to go do some editing now...

24 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

No, I am saying I never noticed that. Has that always been there? Have to go do some editing now...

I think I've seen it before, but I never paid much attention so I can't say how long it's been there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1