You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting 'component' curves?

Hello!
Let's say there's a vector shape consisting of multiple disconnected curves (subcurves, component curves, ... whatever they are called here), like in the letter O.

Is it possible to select one of these curves with one click? Looks like it's not possible with the Move Tool, tried all combinations of modifier keys.

So, with the Node Tool, I could of course select all nodes of the one curve I want to edit, but that is sometimes not easily possible. Is there a trick to select ALL nodes of a curve at once, except with lasso/rectangle/ etc.?

Thanks!

If the curves are grouped, option clicking drills down thru the layers. Sometimes it helps to marqee select a bunch, and hide those to thin the forest out.

Once the curve9s0 is chosen, switch to node tool. Then, command click a for all.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

25 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Sometimes it helps to marqee select a bunch, and hide those to thin the forest out.

Very good advice.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks!

That's not what I mean, though. I'm not talking about grouped curves, but 'merged curves', to use the correct term.

As a quick example, create the letter O, then convert it to curves. Or, create two or more curves > select all of them > context menu Geometry > Merge Curves.

Now those curves are part of one and the same object=layer (which is important if you want the inner curves to produce holes in the fill - groups cannot do this).

How would you select one of those 'component' curves then? In a simple way, since the curves can be close together or overlap.

image.png.aef723f44cfa7d319f5dbc6651b60283.png

For the O, do a self divide. Grab whichever set 7 manipulate. Then subtract the inner from the outer.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi! Thanks, but my question ist: how do I select one of the component curves in the simplest possible way, without messing with the object? So, not a workaround - which there are several - but a direct selection.

See screenshot - how would you select those inner curves? I used lasso selection, carefully. There could be a simpler way, like double clicking on a node, or CTRL-clicking the componet curve etc. Not possible, right?

Thanks!

image.png.9dd8b83c3b819ff91b4e828aaffe0173.png

I suppose there has to be a listing of all the nodes on a distinct vector shape. At this point, there isn't a routine/tool that allows all nodes in that contiguous series by just touching one of the series. Maybe add a request to the feature list.

Huion WH1409 tablet

There is currently no short convenient way to do what you are asking.

The workarounds in earlier posts are useful to know, but dragging a freehand lasso (or clicking a polygon lasso) is the tool that is available for now.

Wrong wrong wrong - ignore all that!

Select a node on the inner circle of the O and hit Ctrl+A to select all the inner nodes.

A second press of Ctrl+A will select all the nodes of the entire shape.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@Aammppaa, I am only posting a reply to let you know that if I could have given your post a higher 'reaction' than a "Like" I happily would have done so! :)

Great find, one that I am sure will save me lots of time. Well done!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

@Aammppaa, I am only posting a reply to let you know that if I could have given your post a higher 'reaction' than a "Like" I happily would have done so! :)

Likewise. I would have sworn I had control clicked on nodes of similar paths and just got all, not the portion. Just spent about an hour playing w. grabbing parts of Curves objects.

Huion WH1409 tablet

25 minutes ago, R C-R said:

A great find indeed, and @Tupaia’s observation

13 hours ago, Tupaia said:

the first CTRL-A selects ALL component curves of every node that is selected

means that we can, for example, easily select all of the inner nodes in a figure ‘8’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

A great find indeed, and @Tupaia’s observation

means that we can, for example, easily select all of the inner nodes in a figure ‘8’.

Combine that with Transform mode & the possibilities seem endless.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Combine that with Transform mode & the possibilities seem endless.

Combine that with Transform mode & the possibilities seem are endless.

FIFY.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)