You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I used the pen tool on this program way back when (probably late 2017) and had no problem tracing my sketches into vector art. Now when I alt click a node (in 1.7) it turns the entire line straight instead of just removing one handle. Is this supposed to happen? Because right now the tool is virtually unusable.

To remove just one node handle in 1.7.x alt click on the handle, not the node.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, CornyJackson said:

I used the pen tool on this program way back when (probably late 2017) and had no problem tracing my sketches into vector art. Now when I alt click a node (in 1.7) it turns the entire line straight instead of just removing one handle. Is this supposed to happen? Because right now the tool is virtually unusable.

I’m having the same problem I only get straight lines there is no other options for getting a curved line

alt+clicking adds a cusp without tangents, alt+dragging creates a cusp with one handle (tangent to the next node).

if your last node is a cusp without tangent handles you can alt+drag to add one handle, which will then result in a curved contour to the next node you add

On 6/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, CornyJackson said:

Welcome to a usability challenged program line.

Is this what you are trying to do: delete one node using only the mouse - and then watch Affinity Designer doing its best to preserve the shape of the curve without this node?

1. I think you cannot delete a single node with the mouse alone in Affinity Designer - even with the node tool. 🤬
  2. Designer just deletes nodes when you delete them - it doesn't (kind of) preserve the shape like Illustrator or Inkscape does out of the box
  3. To preserve the shape when deleting a node you have to press control + alt + backspace (on Windows at least)

So...

1. Why not, Serif?
  2. Why not, Serif? It is a setting in Inkscape fx. if one doesn't need it. Artists do - and that is who you serve more than anything.
  3. Why, why... so clumsy in a intense and long workflow. Fx during manual tracing of drawings. And anything else for that matter.
  4. And while we are at it, why can I force a smooth node into a sharp point with click + alt but not force a sharp point into a smooth point with the same combo? No logic. No help.

Ho hum + UX = Deluxe.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.