You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 1.7.1 crashing while using blemish removal tool on raw image

I was previously using version 1.7.0.

Today, while using the blemish removal tool on a raw Nikon image file the program crashed. I reopened the program, sent the error report to Apple, because I am using a MacBook Pro that runs on High Sierra.

After reopening 3 more times I got the same crash and error EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

According to an Apple forum this error was created by the program sending bad data to the system and the Operating System aborted the program.

I checked for an update and updated to AP 1.7.1.

The update did not fix the problem. The program is still crashing while using the blemish removal tool.

I did not have this problem before, but I do wonder if it is related to the memory usage. According to the Info Tab at the time of the crash the memory pressure was 32% and the memory efficiency was 36%.

I did have the memory usage set originally at the factory default, but after these crashes I raised the memory usage to its maximum. But the problem is still persisting.
I did a test with the blemish tool and found it works normally if the size is under 300 Pixels. When I pushed it above 300 pixels the program hangs up and crashes.

Could trying to use the blemish removal tool at large pixel settings be overtaxing the program?

If so, could this be another bug in the program because if the brush pixel can go above 300 then why does it not work?

Please let me know because if there is a limit on how big I can push the blemish tool brush size this will limit what I can do with my images.

• Staff

Hi DeepDesertPhoto,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind attaching the crash report file here please? In the crash report window, press and hold alt and drag the icon in the window title bar to the desktop to create a copy of the report then add it to your reply here.

If you go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section and untick Enable Metal compute acceleration (restart needed) does it still crash for you doing the same operation? 

I don't have the crash report on hand.

But I did untick the Enable Metal Compute Acceleration and that seemed to fix the problem.

Did you want me to put it back and make it crash in order to get a new report, or do you know what might have caused the crash when the Metal Compute Acceleration was enabled?

Here is the crash report.

The blemish tool was at 320 pixels when the crash occurred.

When I unticked the Metal Compute Acceleration I was able to set the blemish tool to its maximum pixel radius and it worked.

So the Metal Compute does seem to be the problem.

I included the Mac specs screenshot you requested, but I removed the serial number of my computer for security purposes.

Let me know if this helps solve the issue.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.26.20 AM.png

crash-90190.txt

I will untick the Metal Compute Acceleration so that I don't have this problem, but I would like to know why it was crashing when that function was enabled. So when you do have an answer please let me know. Or hopefully your techs can put out an update to correct it.

By the way, I am not a computer expert. What is the Metal Compute Acceleration and what does it do?

For some reason when this was enabled on my Mac it loaded raw files kind of slow and the paint brush, as well and the clone and inpaint brushes, lagged behind sometimes.

After turning off that function the raw files loaded faster and the paint brush moved more easily.

Could this be related to the crash problem I had?

Could my Mac not be fully compatible with that function?

• Staff

Hi DeepDesertPhoto,
Yes, it's possible. We have seen a few reports/issues related with Metal compute acceleration after the 1.7 update now that the application is installed in various machines with different configs. We are looking into these issues and hope to have a fix for them in an upcoming update.

I am a professional photographic artist working mainly in 32 bit HDR, so I use the program pretty heavily.

Sometimes I need to open as many as 20 to 30 raw files at a time to create superwide panoramas.

So I guess that would make me a Power User.

If I encounter any other problems or crashes I will let you know.

If you're curious as to what kind of photos I create using this program I do have a portfolio with Robert Harding Picture Library.

There are some very wide panoramas there that I made using Affinity Photo.

https://www.robertharding.com/photographers/stevenlove/

• 2 years later...

Hello Affinity Team,

I have been having the same issue while using the clone tool, is this issue resolved ?

I am running AF 1.10.4 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Regards,

Abhishek

29 minutes ago, Abhishek Kumar said:

Hello Affinity Team,

I have been having the same issue while using the clone tool, is this issue resolved ?

I am running AF 1.10.4 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Regards,

Abhishek

I'm still using High Sierra. The problems I reported back in 2019 were fixed with the latest update.
Since you're using Catalina you may have to wait until an AF tech can help you because I am not having any problems right now.

• Staff

Hi @Abhishek Kumar,
Welcome to Affinity forums :)
Looks like you are experiencing a different issue (with Clone Tool in Photo Persona) than the one reported in this thread (Blemish Tool in Develop Persona).
Do you mind creating a new tread in the Photo Bugs found on MacOS section and tell us what happens exactly when you use the Clone Tool in Photo Persona (does it do nothing, does the program crash, etc) along with your system specs as you posted above please? This helps us to help and track/follow issue better. Thank you.