You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files size afpub & PDF

I love the idea to edit photos directly in Publisher but the increase in files size (afpub) cannot be handled. 

Publisher file = 16 page all with images has a size of 256MB. This already large if all jpg's combinded are arround 100MB.

After editing one picture in Publisher with the Photo healing brush tool  the afpub files was 366MB (+110MB).  With this file size increase it is not possible to use the Designer to do publishing work as promised. Especially when it comes to Photobook design. 

At the moment Photo processing must be completed in Photo, exported and then imported in Publisher. This process keeps the file size still on a high level. 

Just to make sure: Are your jpgs embedded or linked?

For me linking with jpgs works just fine, file-size seems reasonable. Also have layers created with healing-brush. File-size increased 1mb.

For the PDF size: A screenshot of your settings would be nice.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

I mean in publisher. You have the option to link or embed a file when placing it.

You can check and change this under document>resource manager

When you embed your images the publisher file-size will increase.

Edit: Sorry, did not read thoroughly enough. you said linked..

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

I ask questions about afpub file size related to PDF file size with a detailed example at

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/90388-publisher-pdf-file-size-and-export-time-questions/

Opening a simple PDF file containing a novel with 890 pages with no graphics at all and saving it as afpub increases the size from 6 MB in PDF format to 114 MB in afpub format. That's a factor of 19. That increase in file size is equivalent to adding 16,000 pages of text to my original 890 page PDF file. So I'm seeking to understand what information is in the afpub file that makes it so much larger than the text itself.

No one has commented as yet, but its the weekend. I expect the answer will be something simple once a technical person explains a little about the afpub format. Perhaps something similar to the ballooning in size when you open a jpg and save as afphoto without making any edits.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/87912-170380-huge-file-size-when-saving-16-image/

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• Staff

@JM-Photo Some changes are still being made in this area, but most linked image file types shouldn't be increasing the publisher file size too much, we are aware however that PDF/embedded affinity files can still cause large publisher file sizes when linked

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com